Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

Dodge Roll Critique

GavinButler33
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
GavinButler33 polycounter lvl 2
I just finished working on a dodge roll animation.  I would really appreciate some feedback. My animation can be found at https://syncsketch.com/sketch/132088#181321. I will do my best to get back to this animation as soon as possible, but it may take a few weeks. Working on a demo reel and trying to make a deadline on an application, so I am bouncing between a handful of animations. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Thanks AGoodFella! Finished up on your comments. Please take another look to see if there is anything I need to address. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• slipsius
    It's a good start! I think you need to focus on that front view though. Even from your camera, I can tell that the center of mass is not the same as the reference. In the reference, the whole body stays in a somewhat straight line. But on yours, during the roll, his whole body goes out to the side, then back in. It's causing your roll to look like it wobbles. 
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Will try to fix.
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    I have updated my animation, and went ahead and re-uploaded to YouTube. The link above will now take you to the new video.
  • slipsius
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Slipsius! I accidentally updated the text without updating the link. This is so embarrassing, so sorry everyone! The link looks identical now, but it will go where it says it does this time.
  • slipsius
    Your hips are still going to far out to the side. Look at it from the front view. Also, given your reference, you should show it to us from both those views as well. 

We can also give better critiques if you upload your videos to syncsketch.com instead of youtube. we can scrub through and give draw over crits and notes right on it. 
  • MiAlx
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Gavin,

Just a quick observation: Follow the head during the roll with your eyes and see what it does, you will see that its movement is unnatural, which is mainly due to the upperbody being snappy and not organic, also the head is simply following the upper body, which is innacurate to real life. The head has it's own weight and even though the neck has muscles to keep our head from spining around like an glass of water, gravity, weight (when it rolls on the floor, the body puts pressure on it etc.) and momentum still affect it! You can see below, the crappy arrow I drew points at the direction of the snapping motion of the upperbody.

Like slipsius said, check some reference videos for it and watch again how the upperbody behaves (AND you should upload your next animation to syncsketch) :)
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey slipsius and MiAlx, thanks for the critiques! I updated my animation, however I have not applied MiAlx's critique yet. Might still be off slightly. I also did SyncSketch, and I think I finally got it to work this time! Been having some SyncSketch issues; I think the problem was I was just copying and pasting the link on top of the search bar instead of the share button. Let us just say I know 3D packages better than I know anything else when it comes to computers. 
  • slipsius
    Left a few crits for ya on the syncsketch
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Will work a bit more. Glad SyncSketch is working :smiley:!
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Did my daily update  :). Link is at the top of the page.
  • _adamturnbull
    Hey man, I've left you some notes on Syncsketch.

In general, his torso seems to be too straight or broken at times. Try and get more of a curve to it.

Also, have him compress before he jumps, then stretch out, then compress as he comes into the roll again. He seems too straight for the most of it and doesn't seem to travel far enough. Don't be scared to push the rig to its limits and exaggerate some of those extreme poses.
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Adam! Thanks for the critique! Going to have to move on, but I went ahead and fixed the broken wrist. Application deadline is the 28th and I only have two animations. The wrist was caused by gimbal lock. Been having issues with the rig gimbaling every time I open up the file. It was as easy to fix as running the Euler filter, so why not? Great catches!
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got back to the dodge roll! Tried to address everything, so if anyone could look it over, that would be great! Took me a while to get the head tucked under. Here is the link again: https://syncsketch.com/sketch/132088#180064
  • AGoodFella
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Cool, here are my thoughts.

F29 - In your ref, his weight is more over his right foot, not completely but it's favouring it. On yours, he is way off balance. You don't need to shift the weight completely over, but if not, just know that you will need to catch yourself to avoid falling.

F34 - The left foot comes forward, up and then down. This looks awkward, make it come forward and then down.

F61 - Head does a weird motion through here.

F71. Also happens here.

There's other stuff to make it even better but I would nail down the mechanics first.
  • GavinButler33
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks AGoodFella! Finished up on your comments, if anyone could take another look at what I did, that would be great! Thanks in advance! You can see use the link on top of the page to see my work, or here: https://syncsketch.com/sketch/132088#181321.