Home Technical Talk

Which tools should I buy with educational license?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
First, 3D Coat doesn't have educational license for individuals. Only to schools. 

OK, my meeting with the admission counselor at the school I am aiming for went very smoothly. It was so easygoing, pleasant, and effortless that I got kinda worried. I might be jinxed. :pensive: And no, it's not The Art Institute. :D

But before my target admission date of Summer 2017, I am taking a dynamic sketching and an illustration classes at a community college to amp up my portfolio and brush up my design/drawing skills. That means...I am eligible for educational software license. No more ARRRGH-ing for a while. 

Well, Maya is offered with $9.95 per 3-year license. And Allegorithmic offers academic discount for their software. And yeah, Zbrush is still a tad expensive even with the student discount. And truth be told, the school requires the students to work on campus pretty much all the time. (lab hours are from 9am to 1am.) I am not even sure if I need my own suite of tools. 

So I am looking into Maya, Zbrush, and Substance Painter. As for compositing...I am thinking about using Natron because it is free and is said to behave like Nuke. As for 2D tools, perhaps I should be getting Adobe stuff, too. I am definitely looking into this. 

The entire budget should be under $1200...

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We offer an academic license without requiring student ID. The current price is $39 at 40% off. :)

http://quixel.se/suite/

Let me know if you'd like some assistance getting set up!
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    So I am looking into Maya, Zbrush, and Substance Painter. As for compositing...I am thinking about using Natron because it is free and is said to behave like Nuke. As for 2D tools, perhaps I should be getting Adobe stuff, too. I am definitely looking into this. 

The entire budget should be under $1200...

Yup I'd do this,
    but I think Maya is free for student right ? 

zBrush is really a must-have, same for Photoshop. For Quixel or Painter, it's just a taste choice but I think Painter is free for student too.

gl,
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, I've got the Maya and the Substance student licences for free. Honestly it's so great that these are available to people learning for cheap/free! That's a great deal for Quixel, might need to check that out!

I pay £8ish/m for Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom, which is a pretty good deal! I just wish Zbrush had a cheap student license. But Zbrush Core is $150 which isn't bad!