Home Career & Education

Masters degree vs Experience - Visa Advice

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Swayam_9shah polycounter lvl 7
Hi, 
I am a 3D Artist from India. I currently am enrolled into a Diploma in game art course and freelancing side by side. So after speaking to a lot of companies outside for fulltime work, All of them suggest that for Visa and to work properly outside you either need a Bachelor's or atleast 3-5 Years of experience. I do have a chance to complete my Master's after my Diploma for 2 years and start working or I can get a job here in India and work until 3-5 years for experience. Could you guys give your inside on What should i choose and which would be good for me in the future. 

My Portfolio link: https://www.artstation.com/artist/swayamshah

Thanks,
Swayam

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would recommend working experience instead of the Master degree. Probably better use of your time, if your goal is to emigrate.

I don't know if MA increases your VISA eligibility. Masters degree is required if you wish to be an educator. You generally need at least 1 degree higher than you are teaching. 
  • NicolasKruzel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NicolasKruzel polycounter lvl 2
    You have a good portfolio, so in all honesty I would suggest both. While getting a B.A., hold a job and/or freelance and get experience. Depending where you are trying to get a Visa for, it'll be good for both. As for a Masters, it's a terminal degree if you get Fine Arts so it will allow you to teach in some institutions and give you higher credentials. The downside is that some companies don't pay as much attention to your degree as opposed to your work.