Home Technical Talk

Config 3D Coat interface to be more like SketchUp

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
bitinn polycounter lvl 6
I am trying to learn 3D Coat for basic hard surface building modeling, but is kinda intimidated by its features (its full 3D package after all).

I know and used SketchUp before and would love to setup 3D Coat to have a slightly cleaner interface geared towards modeling buildings. And to put buttons/panels not related to this process away for now.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thx in advance.

(First time poster here, nice meeting you all)

EDIT: I realize 3D Coat might not be the best tool for this, if so, do let me know if SketchUp is the de facto standard, or are there better solutions? My goal is to create an initial reference model but eventually move it into game as a low-poly model.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3D Coat is definitely one of the worst applications for modeling buildings. Any of the big 3d applications would be a much better choice. Max, Maya, Modo, Blender, etc. 

The strengths of 3D Coat are painting, retopo, UVing, and sculpting.
  • bitinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitinn polycounter lvl 6
    ZacD said:
    3D Coat is definitely one of the worst applications for modeling buildings. Any of the big 3d applications would be a much better choice. Max, Maya, Modo, Blender, etc. 

Thanks, I guess 3D Coat is closer to ZBrush then?

I think Maya LT or Blender would be my next choice, or maybe I should go back to SketchUp? Though the commercial license is a bit steep as I just need its modeling power for now...
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Agreeing with ZacD, I don't use 3D Coat so my knowledge for it is very basic. But I have never heard anyone create models with it.

You can't compare 3D Coat with ZBrush, these are both different software with similar key-features.
    ZBrush is a sculpting software. 3D Coat in my eyes is more like a paint software. (I know it sounds unprofessionally saying it like that.)

I suggest looking into 3Ds Max for creating buildings and hard surface. It has a great tool set for exactly that. You would be up and running within a day or two. Blender is free, so if you aren't too serious about modelling, I recommend that. Maya is said to be the best choice all around, but has a more difficult learning curve.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    bitinn said:
    ZacD said:

Thanks, I guess 3D Coat is closer to ZBrush then?

I think Maya LT or Blender would be my next choice, or maybe I should go back to SketchUp? Though the commercial license is a bit steep as I just need its modeling power for now...
    Blender is basically full featured and free. If that or Maya LT don't appeal to you there is also Modo Indie.