Home Career & Education

The number of things in your portfolio

ModBlue
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
Hello! I'm new here and this is my first post! I've been wondering something when it comes down to portfolios. When people go around saying you should include (lets say) 10 images in your portfolio...what does 10 images constitute as? 

Do they mean 10 different models or 10 rendered images of any number of models? I've always wondered on that.

Edit - Forgot to mention but I'm referring to a 3D portfolio

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I would not worry about creating 10 things for your folio if you are just starting out.  You will spread yourself thin and probably not make anything of value.  Start with 1 and make it as amazing as you possibly can.  As TeriyakiStyle mentioned, think it through from the beginning.  Take your time and make something WORTH putting in a folio.  Then worry about making something new.  
  • ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned but I was referring to a 3D portfolio for something like character or environment artist.

@slosh I am starting out actually lol. Yes that was something I realized was that 10 things sounded like a lot to do, but I wanted some clarification to be sure.
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Find artists you admire, working at studios you want to work at, and study their portfolios, # and quality, layout, breakdowns. I've found it to be helpful and, generally, a good rule of thumb when setting goals. 
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    dont worry about quantity, focus on quality. I would rather see 2-3 really stellar pieces than 10 rushed, meh pieces. 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I have a related question to the OP.

When presenting a very VERY complex hardsurface prop, would it be considered fair to treat it like 3-5 normal props and have multiple images, or should there only be 1 or 2 shots at max?

So when a studio asks for 3-5 images, can it be all from the same prop, or do they all have to be original?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    JordanN said:
    I have a related question to the OP.

When presenting a very VERY complex hardsurface prop, would it be considered fair to treat it like 3-5 normal props and have multiple images, or should there only be 1 or 2 shots at max?

So when a studio asks for 3-5 images, can it be all from the same prop, or do they all have to be original?
    I think when a studio asks for 3-5 images, they are probably asking for 3-5 assets, not 3-5 images of the same prop.  That being said, if you're doing  a complex asset, by all means, do more than 1 or 2 renders.  If it has details from multiple angles, do more renders.  But don't do more render for the sake of doing more renders.  I've seen folios where artists will do 20 renders of a prop that probably only require 1...and that is damn annoying.