Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LV394 - Prometheus/Alien Inspired Environment - WIP

Darkcon
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Darkcon polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone, I'm working on a small environment, this is still work in progress but the idea is to have a monument inside the vastness of the area.

The foliage is not my own, but I messed around with the materials, it's one of the things that's hindered me a lot and I haven't found any in-depth detailed tutorials on how to create my own yet.

Replies

• Darkcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are more updates, I wanted to model out a head, the head from Prometheus specifically, but my digital sculpting skills are still in development. So I took the mural from the film inside the engineer ship and took its height information.

Went on 3ds MAX and used the displacement modifier to get some basic sculpted plane of the image, then lowered the polys using pro optimizer. Lastly I converted the Height map into a normal and began to texture the plane on Quixel.

The light in temporary, still WIP.

• Darkcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo it's been awhile since I've updated, a lot of things got in the way, work, life, relationships. But I did recently attended GDC and got massive eye opening advice on my work (which I don't have much of yet) from a lot of people in the industry. So basically I went back and re-worked this project to make it more my own and not use other assets besides my own created ones. I implemented the advice I was given and went on forward

I had to re-work again with Zbrush which was something I hadn't done in a while. I started using Substance Painter over Quixel Suite. I started learning more and more about how to tackle all kinds of obstacles when it came to organic sculpting, which isn't an area I'm not familiar with.

This is a fraction of the re-work I've done so far.

I removed all of the foliage and I'm currently working on sculpting out trees, I know other programs exits like speedtree etc, but I wanted to learn the whole process of creating complex and detailed trees. I still don't know how to do leaves yet but I have a pretty good idea on how to do them. At the moment I'm going to sculpt out 3 more for some visual variety.
  • Darkcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, so I decided to re-sculpt another tree and re-do most of the materials. I did most of the materials in substance painter and messed around inside UE4 to touch them up a bit more. I started using a bit of Megascans too, which most of my foliage comes from.

I've been working with a lot of foliage and their own corresponding materials. I've had issues with lighting the environment also, which is way more then just placing lights around your map.

i find myself going back and redoing most of what I did, each time I do I feel it gets better.

I try to work on it more and more, every bit counts but I feel I'm far from done at the moment. I will try to post maybe once a week, keep me pushing more and more.

• Darkcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, probably the most important piece, but I think I'm going to have to edit it more in terms of textures and lighting inside UE4.

They're a little dark, I'll take new screenshots when I fix up the materials, but I think it's turning out great so far!

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're a little dark, I'll take new screenshots when I fix up the materials, but I think it's turning out great so far!
    Darkness is coming from Filmic Tonemapper settings. Try to tweak that instead of materials.
    Coming along nicely btw. I don't remember these scenes in the movie though, would be nice to post your reference images as well. :)
  • Darkcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's much left to do, but this is what I've gotten so far done! I think it's coming along nicely but I can def improve on a lot. I scrupled and tweaked the materials for each asset.

It's not exactly what I had imagined, but as I worked I took the idea and made it my own. I will return and make adjustments and improve it more but I want to def start a new project and I'll to start update weekly.

Here are some inspirational pieces of concept art that guided the outcome of this project.