Home Career & Education

Social Media vs Forums my thoughts on the matter

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
I have been guilty of posting my work on facebook only, and neglecting the forums for a few years now. It took me a while to realize it, and  I am breaking out of that though. I feel like the new age of artists will fall into this trap as well unfortunately. When I first started doing 3d, forums was all I used and honestly I got the best feedback from the forums. Having professionals critique your work and giving you direction, is a great feeling and not one to be taken for granted. I was personally invited to polycount by the ever so talented Baj Singh in 2011. I realized I haven't posted much on here at all to be honest, and wonder what a difference it would of made in some of my past artworks.However, not to dwell on that aspect too much I want to say that I feel personally that social media has hurt more than it has helped.

Cons of Social Media
-Its a soulsucking endless timeline of nothingness where you post artwork in hopes of a like. I got 20 likes my art must be good right? Wrong. It means absolutely nothing.

-Some artists seem to only use social media to promote their work as well, and they are absent on the forums. 

Pros of Social Media
-It is good way to promote your own artwork and get noticed by a potential client. (I have been fortunate to get some freelance work from this).

-Facebook art group discussions. The only real benefit of getting feedback for your work.

Forums like polycount are irreplaceable. I have built many relationship for alot of talented artists on polycount, and I hope to build alot more. 

PS Maybe I am just ranting here but this is just how I feel as of late. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter though.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I closed my FB and Linkedin etc. don't miss it at all.  The whole practice makes me ill.  I'm happy to just be talking to people again by sending them a personal message or arranging to meet up in *gasp!* real life!

I went to my friends house and had breakfast with them and their new baby and I realized - if I saw this baby on FB I would at best be annoyed.  Something's weird about the whole thing and I think historically people will look back and laugh at the craze.

I always thought it was funny to see Polycount posts get re-linked on FB and be given credit in the form of likes.  

We'll see how it goes but I feel more present without it so it's not for me.
    Yeah I know what you mean for some reason I get annoyed of seeing pictures of someone elses baby but I don't know why I am a nice socialable person. I think I get annoyed because it constantly comes up in my feed, but its my fault for not blocking it from my newsfeed not the cute little babies. If I saw the baby in person I would be fine though. That is the thing about facebook its unfiltered its aimed at everyone not just artists, so you gotta sift through what you want to see from what you don't want to see. Kudos to you for being able to close your FB and Linkedin. For me Linkedin is not an issue I am only on there when I want to see what job a friend has or contact a CEO or something, I need it because I feel without it some HR departments will skip over you if you don't have a Linkedin profile. As far as Facebook goes I would love to close it out but I run a few facebook 3d tutorial groups with like 9k plus members for example and I worked hard to get that to where it is even though i haven't done much lately with the group. I just need to block facebook in my hosts file and call it a day haha and uninstall it from my phone. Either way I will stay productive. I will gladly trade my facebook time for forum time.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I find social media is mainly just a great place to have reasoned discussions about politics.

• nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I find social media is mainly just a great place to have reasoned discussions about politics.

Haha it seems to be true. I don't see art anymore just Donald Trump memes. If you have any political opinion people lash out at you. I mean what a lovely place to be right? lol
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9

Ha - thanks for the hot coffee through the nose - that was hilarious! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the way these things hook people is in the fallacy of "you might be missing out!".  You're imagining HR departments doing this or that - or your 9k plus members being important when what you probably prefer is a close-nit group of 10-20 badass artists sharing together without the 8980 randos.
    I agree that you are what you surround yourself around. The 9k members for me is something I could possibly turn into a business venture in my eyes. I can pitch products to the group. Currently I am webdesigner web developer full time our linkedin profiles is the first thing they ask for, that and twitter. I do 3d to help my sanity on the side currently, but would love to do it fulltime or just have my own studio.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I didn't have a Facebook for a few years.

Ended up getting it when a lead I met asked to connect on FB.

So far being active on FB (posting WIP, final assets, etc) got me my first job and a few other interviews here and there.

I don't love it but I appreciate what it's done for my career.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    I didn't have a Facebook for a few years.

Ended up getting it when a lead I met asked to connect on FB.

So far being active on FB (posting WIP, final assets, etc) got me my first job and a few other interviews here and there.

I don't love it but I appreciate what it's done for my career.
    I think that's great that it worked out for you and you were able to get a job from it. I mean overall for me its like a double-edged sword. It's like a good old bottle of Jack, you don't wanna over do it and it feels good at the time, but you might regret it later on.  I just feel like in this day and age we have so many distractions to combat against, compared to lets say when I was fresh out of design school. I don't let it effect me to the point where I am not productive at all. I just know I could get more work done if I cut it out even more. You get out what you put in when it comes to work. I mean you know this already though you are living proof:)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    @beefaroni - Facebook didn't get you that job you BEEF!  You got it because you're good at what you do.
    Ah fair enough. I believe that posting my work on Facebook led to the opportunity to land my first job as a result of my work and interview. Is that phrased better :P (Definitely not written better).
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I just use every platform tbh, I think most of these things come to preference and I also think can vary, most of the younger artists I know prefer social media and older prefer forums. I say just do your thing whatever works for you works best.
  • ModBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ModBlue polycounter lvl 7
    Is getting a FB account worth the exposure over say, Twitter and the like? Or should you stick to forums?
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    I love both , the only downside I see is that you spend a lot of time on social media.
    From what I've seen , Facebook at least in the Artistic circle has become the linkedin for connections and it also helps distribute your art for other eyes to see and getting your name out there which makes it a great marketing tool.

Artists
            I've also messaged people I admire and follow just to see if they could elaborate how they did a certain thing on their recent work and how they did this or that, most of the time they've replied and been really nice about it , which is awesome. So not being shy or embarrassed about asking is pretty important.  Also when you go to conventions and you want to keep in touch with other artists , you add them on social media ( Usually facebook ) and then you remember the person more easily by name and by their art if they post it. ( At least for me it helps :P ) I really love that aspect.

Caring about likes is one thing , if you see that a lot of good artists and your good artists friends like something that you made , it makes me personally feel much better than if 100 people I don't know like it. But you have to disconnect yourself from thinking that 'likes' are very important, they're not bad , they make you feel good but that's it. So it's really about self-discipline.

My 2 cents.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    ModBlue said:
    Is getting a FB account worth the exposure over say, Twitter and the like? Or should you stick to forums?
    Probably depends on how many people you might be able to connect with that are in industry or who are interested in your work. I post a lot of stuff on my personal FB, but really it's of no consequence from a professional standpoint since I really know no one in the industry (at least no one in the art side of game dev). But that's fine too. Sometimes it's all about what you expect from it. I sometimes just like to show the things I'm working on. 

I'd say if you're expecting a ton of exposure from any platforms right off the bat without much in the way of a body of work then chances are you're likely to be disappointed.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a mistake to think of this as an either or, especially for artists looking to break into the industry. You need to maximize your oportunies on all platforms.

This doesn't mean spend all day posting on or looking at facebook, but when you share your work, post it on polycount, facebook (on your personal page and in any relevant groups), twitter, artstation, etc.

It's easier for more experienced artists to be reclusive, but anyone lacking significant professional experience doesn't have the luxury of being a hermit.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    I only use the face- book to ask fellows, "What occurs?" via messenger app. 
    AIM died years ago and hardly anyone uses Skype for quick conversations; thus Facebook was the only option.

I never go to the actual site, there are too many political fellows about. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Indeed, my good fellow.  
    Also people tend to link to things called the "World Star Hip Hop"  and other lewd things.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod