Home Career & Education

Requesting simple guide

d0kefish
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
d0kefish polycounter lvl 9
Hi!

I got an (possibly silly) idea for decently bad people, like myself. I'd like a complilation of images of props, scaling from easy to hard. In total it should be something like 10 maby, and the first could be a decently simple shape.

I dont know if I am the only one that would appriciate something like this. But I feel this would be a great base to start to get better at.

And delux edition might be if there would be a line of text connected the each model, with possibly a tip, or just something about a part of the model that could be especially tricky.

It might be me having the wrong mindset, but sadly alot of times when I start doing something, I kinda find my self in over myhead, and getting demoralized by this, and often just stop. If I have a clear laid out set of items, and possibly hints of what I should think about in some areas, this would be pure GOLD to me.

~Felix

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    This is the kind of thing that you really need to use your own initiative on. If you can't set your mind to thinking of simple objects to model then your mind won't be set to do the actual modeling.

Over the years modeling I developed my eye/brain to see the forms at their most simple. Nothing revolutionary here, the same principles that have been used in trad painting/drawing/sculpting for donkey's years.

No matter how complex an object may seem when you look at the whole, breaking it down to its component primitives and setting your brain to 'imagine' modeling the forms before you even go in to your modeling package can be very beneficial. I still use the technique, planning in my head the different modeling methods/tools I will use as I stare at the refs. The greater the modeling methods you have at your disposal, the easier this will always be.

A great place to start is by simply looking around the room you're currently in and pick some objects.

A progressive list for a beginner might look something like this:

1 - bucket or container(either cylindrical and tapered or rectangular)
    2 - table or chest of drawers
    3 - simple house/building exterior
    4 - smartphone or computer monitor
    5 - a classical column
    6 - wine glass or teacup
    7 - can of coke
    8 - spanner
    9 - car tire
    10 - screwdriver

All the above items will encourage different problem-solving/tools/methods. From lofting or lathing to subdivision modeling(both box and edge-extrusion methods) and the use of parametric/procedural modifiers.

Post up some examples of where you're currently at, skill-wise, so people can offer more help.

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    What the hell is a spanner?

I kid. Nice post.
  • d0kefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, this is exactly what I am after. A person with very good dicipline could probably do this without the need of a list but this is great for me. I will get started as soon as I get home.
  • d0kefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is stage one, I hope it is okey I post this here.

I've kept it to a very simple box as it is the first of 10.
    Mostly thisone has been trying to learn the new Opensubdiv, as I've never used it before.

• ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Well, I think monkey spanner is a bit hard for a beginner to build...
  • d0kefish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba said:
    Hopefully by then I've become better!
  • ambelamba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    d0kefish said:
    ambelamba said:
    Hopefully by then I've become better!
    I am just a beginner, but I think modeling a monkey wrench is just as hard as modeling a firearm with many details. Check out some photos of that tool. There's a lot of stuff to be added onto a basic geometry.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    d0kefish said:
    So this is stage one, I hope it is okey I post this here.

I've kept it to a very simple box as it is the first of 10.
    Mostly thisone has been trying to learn the new Opensubdiv, as I've never used it before.

focus on the proportions of your reference :)