Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tablet drawing apps

K_O_
null
Offline / Send Message
K_O_ null
I've recently been trying to look into drawing apps for my iPad just to sketch ideas out or practice if I can't get to my computer. Two have stuck out to me. Autodesk sketchbook and pro create. If anyone has had experience with either or and has a recommendation I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    Hey K_O_, I started with procreate several years ago and rediscovered it last month due to ipad pro 9,7" with Apple pencil. Now it is a really decent solution. I don't like A. Sketchbook too much. Use it on my PC because of perspective guide snapping, which is good.
    But check out procreates perspective guides! very good and 2€ only.
    Yesterday I found some nice free watercolor brushes from Abby Nurse:
    http://procreate.si/forums/index.php?topic=11315.20#msg108388

Was fun to play with.
    The procreate manual is pretty cool and leaves almost no question open.

Beside, I couldn't resist to buy Paintstorm Studio.
    12,99€, that's quite expensive for an app, but I was surprised that almost everything was converted from PC to ipad. A bunch of lovely functions like seamless texture painting similar to krita. Radial symmetry is also fun.
    It has some quick buttons for brush size + drag pen, eyedropper etc. Nice and fast but not easy easy to adjust.
    Clean and nice line smoothing.
    But I had crashes with radial symmetry and pictures size more than 2000px.
    Paintstorm feels sticky against procreate and crashes much more often.
    The UI is simply too much for 9,7. Lot's to adjust. But again, the hotkeys make it fast - anyway therefore you can use your keyboard in procreate, which I don't know if that is possible in Paint Storm, I guess it is, as almost everything is in there, but everything isn't always the nicest ;)

Anyway - these are my favourite. Procreate as it is the best touch painting app. Paintstorm studio for all the features. I guess Paintstorm has also a record stroke function, which you can playback on bigger canvas on your desktop?

Art rage has.
    Art Rage comes with best built in oil (bump) and watercolor. The canvas functions are pretty cool and in comparison to procreate or Paintstorm, the structure is really reacting paint. Some antialiasing issues stealing some fun, though.
    Big plus for this style, like the little bird up there could have been done more natural watercolor style in Art Rage, but my fun is in procreate at the moment.
    Art rage has a bunch of functions similar to desktop version. Color mixing on palette is sexy.
    Reference picture i.e. like in desktop version. If I remember correctly, you can put "below canvas" and copy color...but that's quite some time ago. The UI is not simply ported, it's almost clever..with some almosts here and there.

Sketch Club jumps in when other apps missing functionality. I think it has a big community and you can stream and chat while painting - maybe the community is a bit younger?? Don't know. ;)
    The UI is nice and the brush engine is interesting and has some useful features. And hips of people sharing their brushes. I like it, but I never felt 100% at home. But you can create love pics, and if not, it's a question of talent, as I had to find out the hard way :D

Medibang - it's a free?? or not expensive asia manga style painter. Crowded UI, but with hips of functionalities.
    Me, I just played around and found a very quick comic, storyboard frame generator, which is surprisingly cool.
    There are some other nice things like better color mixing, but the workflow is not mine. Can't tell too much about it.

Paintstorm Studio has a liquify function btw. but it is a pain in the butt by my experience. Sticky, buggy shit and damn slow, where we come to Photoshop FiX. Not a real painting app, but for adjusting colors , contrast and to use the best Liquify filter on ipad I've found, it is worth to step by. Can't tell you if it's already in free version.

Adobe sketch - well it's Adobe.
    They split photoshop in different apps, what can I say?
    Fix i.e. does not support layer or psd...wtf??
    O.K. Draw is vector based, what is cool.
    They put the brushes on a side bar, which looks like not a bad idea, but you have to tap on every single brush to go to size, color & opacity mode. It's not bad, but feels not perfect, if you know what I mean.

If you are a pattern freak, amaziograph is really worth to have a look at. Even though quite limited in brushes you can create Escher style patterns very quickly.

For classic vector work, I can recommand Autodesk graphic, which is really nice. iDraw has good option too.
    Vector touch is also interesting.

For hand animation, I like DoInk. It's vector only, but runs very fluid.

For Reference I bought Posetastic, but I got some trouble with proportions. It's interesting to pose, but looks not right to me.

That's it.

Btw. shouldn't this be in the technical talk area? ;)