Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Travis Art Thread

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
TravisBolek polycounter lvl 16
I figured I'll just create a general thread for my 2D art rather than create a new one for each one that I'm working on.

This is Orange Goblin, no relation to the orange one in office, and it's part of a series where I take a band name and paint a literal interpretation of it. Orange Goblin is a British heavy metal band that plays a mix of Black Sabbath style and stoner metal. I had made one piece of it before but I wasn't satisfied with the result so I'm revisiting it. 

First is the original piece that I did:

And here is the in progress improved version:

I haven't done a great job of keeping in progress shots going but I'm slowly finishing it up.

Replies

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little bit of an update to the piece:

Fixed up the pants. Started to detail out the Marshall half-stack. Adding empty bottles. Other changes here and there.
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I added detail to the bottles and fixed the drinking hand and lips. Added some minor details that got lost in the resizing that I did.
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I think I can call this as done. 
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a couple of new pieces that I've been working on:

This one is a reimagining of Pac-Man as an 80s party.

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The next one is a fictional album cover for a fictional one-man grindcore band: Schizophrenic Chainsaw Squad.

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It's been awhile since I last posted anything but I haven't been idle, just been lazy to update on here. I'm nearing the end of this piece but I'm kind of stuck on what I should do for the background. I tried doing something abstract with it but I didn't really care for it. Any suggestions? Any other critiques are welcome too.
  • Nizidranamitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizidranamitz polycounter lvl 3
    Hey,

Your line work is cool but your color aren't tied together, they aren't related by light sources. I suggest you check how light works with gurney ''color and light''. Also, your shading doesn't make sense, thinks of the light as something directional, and people as volume, if you have a light coming from the left, then all of their right body part should be in shadow (and casting shadow on people/item behind them).
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you think I should do with the color? Make it more harmonious? I'll work more on the shading. And I should probably add a fill light as well. I'll definitely check out Gurney's Color and Light. I love his work with Dinotopia. Any thoughts on the background?

Thanks again. I really appreciate it!
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Made some more changes. Made some slight improvements to the shading and messed around with some adjustment layers. I originally did this in Sketchbook Pro on my Surface Pro 3 tablet and then took it to my PC into Photoshop. Added some rim lighting and added the splatter background which I think fits pretty nicely. Any other critiques are welcome!
  • TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile since I've posted in my own thread! Here is some stuff that I worked on between my last post and now:

I finished up the Pac-Man Party that I was working on earlier.

Here is one of Spiderman vs. Venom:

This one is called "Ninja Rider":

And this is Machete vs. Wolverine:

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is what I'm working on currently which I'm calling "Graveworm". This is part of the literal band name series that started with Orange Goblin. I've had this sketch for awhile and only now am I revisiting it. The pencil sketch is old but the rest of the wips are more current.

Any critiques are welcome of course either on the current pieces or past ones. Thanks!

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on Graveworm. I think I'll stick with more of a monochromatic theme, with a touch of color here and there.

• TravisBolek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to call this one done. Thoughts? Critiques?