Home General Discussion

where have all the plycounters gone

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
you know the ones I mean like bobo, daz,Pior and the like. are you all hiding. we need you guys to counter the tide of
 noob snowflakes who are all depressed after working cg for 2 weeks:)
I bet yu are all 2 important now

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

I want a bobo update i know of that new person but who he/she is is a mystery to me if that your child? or your protegee.
    Prior seems to be doing well.

Edit:
    red wine's fault.
    Cya fellows, been fun.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I guess us mid-lvl noobs need to step up our game and continue the legacy!
    :disappointed:
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    To be fair there are lots of replacements , some really good artists on PC still -was just curious if some of the older Polycounters are still
    around.
    Obviously people like Pior, Earthquake, Eric Chadwick are still doing the rounds but other like MoP, Bobo, Daz seem to have disappeared.

teriyakistyle, you have been around for a while and knock out some decent stuff.

I tend to post my update on linked in or twitter these days, seems to be more of an audience really.
  • Mathew O
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Yeah it makes me a little sad, I find it very hard to get any crit here nower days so I've started spending more time in Dinusty's discord. Maybe everyone's just getting old and moving on :(
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Mathew O said:
    Yeah it makes me a little sad, I find it very hard to get any crit here nower days so I've started spending more time in Dinusty's discord. Maybe everyone's just getting old and moving on :(
    I think that is pretty common - finding smaller places where you can more consistently talk and get feedback for the same people. I for one use the greentooth slack and it has been a saving grace for me, I considered quitting 3D altogether before I found it but after I joined I not only got my first freelance gig through their encouragements to post an ad but also my first full-time employment from the job channel on there. For me the slack is a cozy home where you want to stay while polycount is a crowded town square where there are often too many people passing through to get noticed. I do still post on polycount and try to help people and bump threads that I think have been neglected.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    dont make it sound so apocalyptic. people always gets rotated out in communities, there are a lot of new people here too. and probably a lot of people who will have the same status as Pior in 10 years, we just dont know about them yet.

but yeah, there are a lot of new places where people can post their stuff as well. come to think about it, I havnt been in the 3D section for almost a year. if I post anything, its on my artstation, I should probably work on that.
  • Eric Chadwick
    People change and move on. Others come in, as it's been pointed out. This is how it's always been. How many people from the Planetquake skinning days  are still here? Very very few. And that's fine. At least old man Rusby is still here.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh hi Ruz - Would love to see more of your stuff too !

I can't speak for others but I can definitely share my perspective on this topic. As far as I am concerned there are a few factors that led me to posting less. Some obvious ones, and some not so obvious ...

First off there are of course the very practical consequences of working a day job, at a studio or remotely. On one hand it's pretty much awesome because that means being paid a steady income to work on something thoroughly enjoyable ; but on the other hand, that also means a narrowing window for personal work and also the tricky situation of working on something confidential for years and thus not really being able to show much personal stuff out of concern that it might be associated with it. Not always easy waters to navigate !

But then as said there is also the not so obvious stuff, which as far as I am concerned is much more relevant. Even though it is often referred to as such, Polycount has never been "a place to find great CG art" for me. Because, well, what's the point of that besides passively looking at pretty pictures ? The thing that made PC so interesting to me back then is the way it used to connect games and art in a very practical way through custom player models for FPS games. There is something truly magical about putting all of one's energy into designing, modeling, rigging and importing a character into a game, with all these efforts culminating into a little zip and readme that others can download and enjoy. The reward is multiple - it is the tangible "end product" itself, but also : 

• All the interesting technical things learned along the way (which all happen to be very relevant skills for the job market)
    • The art critiques given and received
    • The sense of closure once the model is uploaded, which means that it's time to start over again with the next thing and get better.
    • Appreciation from like-minded folks, whether they are artists or gamers.

So, while Polycount has grown exponentially over the years it unfortunately gradually lost the very direct connection it used to have to practical game asset creation since most people seem to see it as an art site now / games are less modding-friendly / and art content creation for modern games takes so much time. This became very obvious to me with the release of Street Fighter IV and V. A while ago Polycount would have been the place where to find all the information about modding these games ; but nowadays there would be almost no point posting about that kind of content creation here, since only a tiny fraction of the audience would be actively involved in it (not just talking about appreciating the results, but also, actively researching the topic). This is what led me to become much more active in the SF modding scene over the last two years, as it totally brought back the underground tinkering spirit of the old PC days while still being artistically challenging and relevant to a community of passionate people.

Some stuff from last year :

So now I personally spend my time between this sort of fun "oldshool style" modding work, freelance concept art work, and content creation for places like the Steam Workshop. It feels just as much fun as before ! As far as I am concerned the next step will probably be to get into programming, which has been a bit of a dream for years. Can't wait !!
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    My original post was a bit tongue in cheek really (as most of my post are) but  hope no one was too offended, just a bit of fun.
    but yeah there are a lots of outlets to post your work these days and twitter seems more immediate,though I am not a huge social media type.

It's funny Pior, now there are so many free game engine about, it somehow is not as fun to use them. I never really get in to Unreal engine
     these days. I used to love modding Unreal Tournament characters, digging around in the scripts to see how things worked.
    I also loved the progression of peoples work from photoshop/3dsmax to game engine, something magical about that
    yeah I am getting really old man , but I am actually enjoying my work more than ever and i think my standard is the
    highest it's ever been. The most important thing is to maintain that enthusiasm over the years and I think i am really
    starting to enjoy my work again after a miserable few years where I just couldn't be arsed with it
    Anyway I bet most of the 'old gimmers' on the forum are actually management types now and they are not allowed on the the forum anymore:)
    (except for Pior who escaped from the machine)

back to my tax return and freelance work i go( hi ho)

• Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    I remember those guys. I tend to lurk more though.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm not as seasoned as some of you fellas but it does feel like i hardly recognize anyone around here anymore.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's definitely changed a lot here over the last 4 years. 
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD said:
    It's definitely changed a lot here over the last 4 years. 
    I was a lurker for a long time before actually diving into being apart of the PC community, but I concur.  
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Not that much of a veteran but I could feel things changing over the years, especially with the growth of artstation and that people tend to use facebook a lot more for art than before, I have become more of a general discussion lurker and watch the wip sections a lot less, not ideal but I guess I get art thrown at my face a lot more then before and I feel satisfied with it, missing out on a lot of great reading I'm guessing though.

Also well sponsored competitions have started showing up from software companies and artstation etc which drags the crowd away from the forums a bit.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Not that much of a veteran but I could feel things changing over the years, especially with the growth of artstation and that people tend to use facebook a lot more for art than before, I have become more of a general discussion lurker and watch the wip sections a lot less, not ideal but I guess I get art thrown at my face a lot more then before and I feel satisfied with it, missing out on a lot of great reading I'm guessing though.

Also well sponsored competitions have started showing up from software companies and artstation etc which drags the crowd away from the forums a bit.
    I think part of the change was due to every 3d class, tutorial, or guide said to go to Polycount to learn game art. And the community around Polycount has been split up so many times, #model_design, Slack, Google Hangouts, Skype group, etc. There's no longer the core 10 or so members you see on every major thread just because there's too many threads, or because the threads are about the same dozen issues. 
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    it has quietened down overall by quite a bit from what i've noticed - including the discussion forums, so i think it can't just be blamed on artstation. i've never looked all that much at the art sections but just a few years back it used to be that i had trouble finding my own threads/posts the next day because so much had piled up in the meantime. i wonder if the forum upgrade and those several months of regaining features had anything to do with it?

for discussions where else do you turn to these days? i find discussion on facebook to be usually very light on substance. the format doesn't seem very suited to longer posts,dealing with replies and try to find anything from last week on there. skype et al can be quite intrusive for my taste if you have a large contact list. plus they are blocked at some workplaces.

• PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    There are a lot more sub-forums now from when the original forum went up too, so it gets fragmented some. I still want to know where Alphawolf went, firestarter (Chris you alive? )
  • seth.
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I 'member giggling like a schoolgirl when Pior or BoBo or Haz or Gav commented on my stuff back in the day and that was awesome, and its a shame that wont happen as often nowadays. (pior you are still here and a fucking legend <3) Increased numbers mean that its harder to gain the rep that those guys held in the community unless you are on here for more time than I can browse for sure, so you aren't really seeing the next generation of inspirational guys coming through.

Stuff gets buried very easily on the boards now, I posted a tutorial  that got 291 views before sinking out of sight, same tut on artstation reached 23,000+ views and is still visible.

It's just not my primary destination for game art anymore, moving to LA game me a bunch of game artists to chat and be friends with, and I don't like talking to people unless I'm drunk, so the social aspect isn't so important to me either.

<3 U PC, we just want different things.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    It's unfortunate for some of the new incomers that they won't get a lot of the feedback from the big guns like we did back in the day.  
  • Eric Chadwick
    Huh? Were all the "big guns" only in one generation, and the next generation didn't produce anyone of merit?

I do get that the volume has changed, and that does have a large impact on the community. But at the same time it seems like there's quite a bit of rose-colored glasses going on, people pining for the days when they were young,and had to walk uphill, nine miles through snow drifts, to get to school.

The community is different. Nothing lasts forever. But is it worse overall? I'm not so sure. 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I didn't mean to infer that PC is worse or that there aren't talented people on here anymore but just that I don't see the same veterans I was used to seeing 4-5 years ago.  I will say that threads do get buried far easier/faster now than they used to...that's unfortunate but just goes to show how large PC has become.  
  • Eric Chadwick
    True dat. 

I briefly thought what if we made an invitation-only section, to get some of that small-community feeling again. But that wouldn't work. It would be weird, first of all. It would be seen as elitist. But it would also get stale without new blood. And I'm not sure that kind of attempt at social engineering would work anyhow.

It does seem too big now, compared to what it was. Not sure that's fixable, or even if it's actually necessary. Hypotheticals I guess.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Although I have not really been on Polycount for long in the grand scheme of things, I have not been too active a while (not that I posted that much anyway) as I just find it more convenient to post my work on the forum for my University course. I do plan on being more active in the Summer when I have time to create that environment project that I have thought about for a while. Not sure why I have around 3.7k profile views now, not really been posting enough to warrant such attention. Maybe I posted something in the past  that was unintentionally controversial? I am considering going to the London meetup in a few days.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I do get that the volume has changed, and that does have a large impact on the community. But at the same time it seems like there's quite a bit of rose-colored glasses going on, people pining for the days when they were young,and had to walk uphill, nine miles through snow drifts, to get to school.
    I agree. I think we remember some of these posters specifically because knowledge was harder to get at the time and possessing it and sharing it made you more rare than it does now.

Back then you had to actually add Earthquake on Skype to ask him how baking works if you wanted to be one of the 7 people that could do it properly without seams or artifacts. Now he wrote it all down, people made scripts and tools that make it better and easier, most of the rules are now common knowledge in the industry atmosphere.

In a growing network it's harder for any node to stand out. But it's also easier to get the skills you need to start drawing an income... that part's great.
  • gsokol
    Not enough people saying "Shut up and make art" anymore :tongue:
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    gsokol said:
    Not enough people saying "Shut up and make art" anymore :tongue:
    Yeah, the infamous polycount tough love is pretty much gone.
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    they are finnally have life
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    seth. said:
    I 'member giggling like a schoolgirl when Pior or BoBo or Haz or Gav commented on my stuff back in the day and that was awesome, and its a shame that wont happen as often nowadays. (pior you are still here and a fucking legend <3) Increased numbers mean that its harder to gain the rep that those guys held in the community unless you are on here for more time than I can browse for sure, so you aren't really seeing the next generation of inspirational guys coming through.

Stuff gets buried very easily on the boards now, I posted a tutorial  that got 291 views before sinking out of sight, same tut on artstation reached 23,000+ views and is still visible.

It's just not my primary destination for game art anymore, moving to LA game me a bunch of game artists to chat and be friends with, and I don't like talking to people unless I'm drunk, so the social aspect isn't so important to me either.

<3 U PC, we just want different things.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/sunnys-easy-holiday-spiral-ham-recipe.html

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Wow I remember those days, I've been around a long time, used to lurk on polycount and try to make some skins when I was a teen but sucked so much that I never joined polycount till I was in university studying interactive media. The competitions and challenges(dominance war etc) were basically the biggest part my education in game art though! Still wearing my polycount tshirt around in public with pride haha.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    It doesnt matter much. There are nuggets enough just lyin about here and elsewhere. This is still a great place to see what is going on.
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    PeterK said:
    There are a lot more sub-forums now from when the original forum went up too, so it gets fragmented some. I still want to know where Alphawolf went, firestarter (Chris you alive? )
    Hey Pete, yeah I'm still alive. Same old story.

Alpha made that Slain game a little while back.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I haven't been posting much on PC myself, I dunno even why, just been shutting up and trying to make art I guess, but now im trying to integrate all that social media/forum junk time together and section off some time in my day for it.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Times change, people change. Most of the crowd I knew are now all seniors & leads etc and a fair few have kids. I know atleast from my personal experience that is some heavy shit, drains alot of your time and energy. I still lurk alot on PC, but spend most of my time I have for art stuff doing art stuff rather than posting about it, just turned full hermit in that sense lol. I super respect the guys who stuck around and manage to do all that stuff AND keep active online.

I'm thinking about going back to doing smaller scale stuff just so I'll get something done. Doing full projects at the highest quality bar takes months, and digging out that time at home for me feels near impossible sometimes heh, it's like I'll look at something and estimate I'll finish this half a year later and won't bother haha.
  • Eric Chadwick
    You can still be as direct as you want. I see a fair amount of this. Perna, Pedro, Joao, Earthquake, etc. The general rule though is don't be an asshole. If you're speaking truth, that's fine. If you're being a troll, no thanks.

ZacD said:
    Yeah, the infamous polycount tough love is pretty much gone.
    Chillydog3D said:
    Shut up and make art.
    Also bring back 'pimping and previews' Bring the jive back.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    6 years on PC and i still find usefull information and awesome artists to learn from, i hope this site will last forever!!!
    Thank you Polycount!!!!!
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I hope this doesn't sound pretentious or bad (I don't mean it to).

Back when I started on PC and CGchat, I would get my work destroyed by some of my favourite artists.

B1ll was one of the most helpful to me personally, and while he sort of faded away from PC, he kept guiding me on msn messenger/Skype (and I recall he was helping out several of us - Hazardous, Hntrluc, Gavin, Dur23). I was probably also one of 20-30 people Grassetti used to give regular paintovers.

We each kinda managed to create and maintain small but manageable feedback loops, but the size of Polycount just grew larger and larger.

I was doing a bit of mentorship to a few artists, that number grew from 2-3 to 20, then now to well over a hundred.

As the interest and community of polycount grew, the more and more time I realized I was spending helping my ever-growing unmanageable group. All this while simultaneously losing regular contact with the loop of people who would help me to improve my own work.

So in some regard, I'm assuming what they put into this community, and what they got out of it became largely out of sync. That said there's some pretty awesome Polycounters still in the mix. Ysalex, Tits, EQ, AmsterdamHiltonHotel are a few who I think do a pretty good job of keeping it going.

• arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    I cant speak for everyone, but i had a kid. My free time is playing games with him, or building legos. I also started do more fine art, its what i went to school for. I have been at many studios that have won awards for their graphics, been on the top row of many a CG site, so I am just not as hungry anymore. I still lurk, if you are interested in my stuff I did many cinematic characters for Battlefield 1 and a few assets in the new God of war trailer.  As far as my fine art stuff, this was the last major work i participated in.  http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/heres-whats-up-with-that-felix-the-cat-animation-on-the-side-of-neuehouse/
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Times change, people change. Most of the crowd I knew are now all seniors & leads etc and a fair few have kids. I know atleast from my personal experience that is some heavy shit, drains alot of your time and energy. I still lurk alot on PC, but spend most of my time I have for art stuff doing art stuff rather than posting about it, just turned full hermit in that sense lol. I super respect the guys who stuck around and manage to do all that stuff AND keep active online.

I'm thinking about going back to doing smaller scale stuff just so I'll get something done. Doing full projects at the highest quality bar takes months, and digging out that time at home for me feels near impossible sometimes heh, it's like I'll look at something and estimate I'll finish this half a year later and won't bother haha.
    I'm doing my first full character personal art in years and it's literally been a year since i started lol...well in a couple months anyway.  2 kids definitely takes up most of my time.  I try to squeeze a game in every now and again to keep somewhat up to date on modern games.  Love doing personal art though...wish I had more time.  I really want to move onto something new but I just keep chipping away haha.  I used to spend more time giving feedback but I realize I have too much to learn to be telling people what to do hehe.

edit:  my mistake, it has been a year already! damn i'm slowwwwww!
  • Eric Chadwick
    arshlevon said:
    I cant speak for everyone, but i had a kid. My free time is playing games with him, or building legos. I also started do more fine art, its what i went to school for. I have been at many studios that have won awards for their graphics, been on the top row of many a CG site, so I am just not as hungry anymore. I still lurk, if you are interested in my stuff I did many cinematic characters for Battlefield 1 and a few assets in the new God of war trailer.  As far as my fine art stuff, this was the last major work i participated in.  http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/heres-whats-up-with-that-felix-the-cat-animation-on-the-side-of-neuehouse/
    Where's the animation for this? Did you cap a video of it? Would love to see it in action.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Where's the animation for this? Did you cap a video of it? Would love to see it in action.
    i have some clips for my own personal use, but the Felix IP is owned by Dreamworks and while i was able to license the property for the piece, i cant post or produce any video of it legally. I have the right to show the piece again in a gallery or museum context but not put videos on the internet.  
  • bounchfx
    shit man, arshlevon, now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. update your artstation so I can drool more puhleeaaassee
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    slosh said:
     I used to spend more time giving feedback but I realize I have too much to learn to be telling people what to do hehe.

edit:  my mistake, it has been a year already! damn i'm slowwwwww!
    Nah keep giving the feedback when you can! Ive always appreciated your advice in my threads. I still try to help people on here even though I don't have any massive hit games to my name yet. I've also tried to be honest with my criticism and advice like people were when I joined back in 2007. I will be nice to be people but I think people need to know what their biggest flaws in their work are if they want to keep progressing. I had no one at university who could really critique my work like polycount members could.

Also youre not really slow, I think lifes just like that sometimes, Im getting married this summer so Im super busy - I started a cyberpunk agent but Ive got no time for it at the moment. 2 kids would keep anyone pretty busy haha
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Can't speak for brian/bobo. But he has a studio now, this stuff drains your personal time. 
    Thats at least what it is for me for the most part. 
    He also has a family now so naturally the focus changes :)

There is also a ton of entitlement with newer folks these days. Demanding very specific tutorials and tips. Shitting on feedback experienced people give them. Asking the same questions over and over and over again. Not using google... Most of the threadtitles are perfect google searches.
    It just becomes very straining to see the same stuff all over again.
    It feels like there is too little curiosity and trying to find your own solutions or putting some time into the search for answers. Failures are not considered valuable, maybe its an age thing - nobody likes to fail, but every failure is a valuable lesson that makes you better.
    Instead a ton of throwaway threads pop up "how do i ...?" once answered they die, it's just a ton of noise going on, but little substance.

And this in a time where information is so easily obtainable, but maybe thats also what changed it so hard. Back when we started out, there was little info, we had to help each other to find out better solutions.

I try to post on Polycount as often as I can, I try to focus on not dumping art but giving valuable input, or at least give some input when i would just post art. Because thats what polycount always was for me. But i also do this stuff on a daily basis here in the studio, so the amount of energy for that is limited.
    I hope it will shift back a bit, especially for the younger folks, facebook is a horrible platform to preserve information/knowledge.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Yeah, seems to be a real lack of searching skills these days, or really probably the impetus to do it. Responding to some people feels like pissing in the wind. 

But I applaud people who stick with it, help people out. For me it just feels good to share, help others get closer to their goals. Sometimes the best way to do that is to teach them how to learn, instead of directly answering the question. But it takes a bit more effort, that.
  • Magihat
  • slipsius
    The way I see it is this. The proportion of AMAZING artists and new artists has changed significantly. When the community was smaller, game dev was a lot less popular, and all those Polycount legends who were really active, they weren't being bombarded with posts every day. There was 1 main pimpin' and previews page, and when you posted something, it would stay on the first page for a few days before getting knocked off. They had time to go through a lot of them and give proper feedback.  

Now a days, game development has increased significantly in popularity. Damn near every college / university have a game dev course now. Polycount is way more popular. There are multiple P&P subs, which divides the user base based on their own interests. Not a bad thing though. Even in those subs, because of the increased traffic, your thread barely lasts a day on the first page. The top tier people no long have time to comment on everything. There's just too much. Especially when a huge chunk of the threads are complete newbies who are asking questions that can easily be found in the wiki, or on google.

When you ask a question you can easily google, you`re essentially saying your time in more valuable than everyone else's. You want them to do the googling, or to explain in a TL:DR fashion while you do your own thing waiting for a reply. The more experienced people aren't going to waste their time on most of it. This stuff takes hard work and dedication. If you cant dedicate yourself to read through a long website explaining your question, vets won't dedicate their time to helping you. It's really as simple as that. 

Yes, some of the vets have moved on. They frequent artStation more, or just aren't on the net as much. That's fine. People change. Careers change.There are still vets around though, and in time, our wee noobs will become vets as well, increasing the ratio of vets : noobs. We`ll get more responses. We`ll have more people becoming friends and creating those crit circles that Jacque was talking about. 

The overall feeling of Polycount has also changed partly based on people just growing up. I know I've matured compared to when I first started posting. I see a few others in this thread that have matured an incredible amount over the years as well. I won't name names, but I`m sure they know who they are. 

People change. Websites change. Communities change. If it's changing for the worse, ask yourself what you`re doing to help it get better. I personally try and give good, long critiques on animations because that's what I know. I've dropped off a bit the last bit because of my social life and what not, but I've also noticed that my crits can sometimes spark conversation or someone else to crit as well. And it's the same for others. When I see a good crit, I join in. Or I think ok, that user has that thread, I`ll crit another to help the community along. It's a community. When people act like it, it grows. When people don't, it doesn't. 

Just my 2 cents. My personal opinion and not that of the other mods/admins. 
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'll piggyback on these two quotes if you guys don't mind :

"People change. Websites change. Communities change."

"I started a cyberpunk agent but Ive got no time for it at the moment"

I agree with both statements, but at the same time an interesting thought experiment would be to ask : how long would it take to wrap up this cyberpunk agent using current current specs ? And : how long would it take to finish it if it was made under a 8k triangles budget... without sculpting ... with a 512 for the head and a 1024 for the body ?

I think that's an important distinction to keep in mind ! Nothing prevents anyone from working with specifications from 5/10 years ago - that stuff is fun, light, manageable and fast.

Now of course that won't help with the fact that a gazillion amount of things will still be posted every day, but at least that can help with the "no time to make art" part ...

• m4dcow