Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art of KRGraphics

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HaloAnimator polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys... I haven't posted here in a long time, and I wanted to share some work that I have done for 2016. This one was a very fun experience to create and I am glad it came out the way it did. I hope you will like it too. 

Now this character is one of 14, from my personal game project that is being made using the Unity 5 engine. It is a 2.5D fighter which allows me some creative leeway to push as much detail as possible on my designs.

The inspiration for this project came when I wanted to add some challenge to my designs and create a character with a mix of hard surface and organic design, using a variety of software in my personal pipeline. The most fun part was adding all of the details in Substance Painter and creating the clothes using Marvelous Designer, which took some time to put together.

Specs:

1x4096x4096 (Albedo, Normal, Material Map) Body
1x2048x2048 (
Albedo, Normal, Material Map) Equipment and Pouches
1x2048x2048 (Albedo, Normal, Material Map) Arrest Device
1x1024x1024 (Albedo, Normal, Material Map) Gun
1x1024x1024 (Albedo, Normal, Material Map) Grenades

Triangle count: Approx. 97,000 tris

All of these textures will be lowered in size, expect for the body.

The completion date for this model was Oct 2016 and I am ready to make some more cool stuff. Stay tuned.

Turntable: Rendered in Unity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tjK6ZXcfY4

You can also see the making of this character. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLc0M4Al6SS6driD-Cs7Iy8BAazXXmcWdi

Replies

• HaloAnimator
    Offline / Send Message
    Good morning, guys... I hope everyone had a great Easter and it is nice wherever you are. I am back to post another design that I am currently working on, and for this one, I chose to create a character that I can use effects like cloth simulation on in Unity as well as push my detail in my work much more... 

So this character is a warlock... and I wanted to explore not only my new tools for modelling and rendering, I also wanted to start a diary on how I go about creating my designs and have fun with it. The challenges I face with this guy is hoping that the cloth sim I will be using in Unity will be easy to setup...

Here are some progress shots of this guy and all of it is a WIP... still need to do some touch ups on his body before I commit to baking and texturing...

Added the head...

The challenge for the head right now is trying to get the character to look like a mid 20's male but right now he looks a bit older... I've also started retopology on the head. C&C is awesome welcome. Sorry for the massive art dump, I've been very excited to share my progress.

• HaloAnimator
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, guys... K.C. here, and it has been a while since I have posted anything for my art, so I have something new. I have been working on my warlock and I finally have him ready to be used in Unity. It took a while to finish this character because I was also recording a YouTube series on his creation... so without further ado, here is the finished character and some more WIP shot of him. I had a lot of fun creating this guy, and learned a lot of new tricks to improve my workflow, including intelligent use of Marvelous Designer.

Render in Substance Painter (Minus the hair and scepter)

Texture work in Substance Painter.

This process was the most fun and eye opening experience in creating the textures for the model, especially the skin, where I used a lot of airbrushing and layering to create a very believable appearance. I might go back and add some more layers on him, but for now, he is finished until I add his hand and weapon. The skin painting took about 4 hours to do using Substance Painter and a crap load of layers.

Skin Mottling Pass

Now that I have completed the blue and gold outfit for the character, I am now working on an older version of this guy who is aged about 150 years and the challenge is to make him look old and withered. I started with the head since I already have the head and body already completed and it gave me a head start to really crank on as much detail as I can muster. The reason I aged this guy is it add some form of trade off for having that much power of Time Travel and Manipulation, and in the game, he would still have the speed of a 25-year-old but the appearance of a supercentenarian.

Work in Progress Shots

In the shot below I haven't added fine wrinkles and skin pores to the older head.

The older head is still a WIP, as I am trying to clean up and make the wrinkles a bit more pronounced and adding more skin sag on the neck and jowls while trying to stay close to the original head for rigging. Once I finish that, I will take the model into MD for dressing up. C&C welcome.

• HaloAnimator
    Offline / Send Message
    MAJOR ART POST! :)

Good morning, guys. Been a while since I've posted anything but I think this is a good time to share what am working on now. Back in May, I posted images of this old man's head in comparison to his younger self, to learn the process of age progression on a human face, and while this came with its own challenges (Mainly trying to keep my laptop from freezing because the source mesh was so dense), I think I knocked it out of the park. So here are some in progress shots of the Archmage at his current stage. I am in the middle of modeling his scepter that while he is still powerful without it, I am treating the scepter like a lighting rod and having it increase his powers to insurmountable levels.

Archmage

In this one, I was going for a red and gold colour motif, but for me it makes the character feel dark, and he is not evil. So...

I went for this motif instead of white gold and black a bit later and I liked that it gave the character an almost sage like quality. This is rendered in Substance Painter without the detail maps (I have to apply those in Unity)

Current Iteration

The old colours. I liked them, but it felt too evil for a character who is traveling through time.

Texturing

This is always my favourite part of my character design process, taking my characters into Substance Painter and working my magic on them. Usually, in this process, things like clothes are textured flat with minimal detail until I take it into Unity and use a custom shader for detail mapping (you'll see it coming up).

Most of the time is spent hand painting the skin with a shitload of reference and patience. And I will admit, I had a lot of fun painting this one.

d working 

This channel is very special... like the game Paragon, this allows me to create three additional normal maps as well as roughness and AO within the shader. I treat this as microdetail.

In Engine Roster so far

So if you are wondering what all of this is for... I am working on my own game at home and this will allow me to learn production tricks as well as get faster in my turnaround time. So after all of this work (he still needs hair and his scepter sculpted), I imported the character into Unity to see how he looked and I was very impressed, especially with the detail mapping. These textures are either created in Substance Designer entirely or sculpted in ZBrush and enhanced in Designer. And don't worry about the grey man in the back. He is getting updated visuals. (I'm very excited for that too.)

More to come.