Home Career & Education

Turbosquid and similar platforms

I think its almost impossible to sell a model and make decent income by selling 3d models on turbosquid and similar platforms.
There are tons of 3d models, why would somebody buy yours? this is like a playing a lottery.

Replies

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    The people buying stuff over there are not picking stuff at random they are choosing what they think seems to be the best product.

Usually this ends up with the top 2% getting most of the sales and the rest fighting for the left overs.
    I know a few people making a living on selling products on asset stores, but they are really putting in the time as well as they have tons of experience.
  • CrackRockSteady
    I've noticed that it helps a *lot* to get your models Checkmate certified on Turbosquid.  I think a lot of people buying models are more comfortable buying assets that they know have already been checked for common problems.  Also, as Jonas said, putting in the time to make your models and textures stand apart from the mediocre assets in the store will help a lot.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Also remember that Turbosquid is also taking a hefty % of each sale, depending on how much you sell and some other stats, you can have a look at https://resources.squid.io/squidguild/  . Other platforms might be more attactive, depending on what you are selling, for example game ready assets might be better on the unreal marketplace or unity store.

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    TurboSquid's news letter states what the top searches are for that have little to no models available.
  • CrackRockSteady
    To piggyback off of what monster is saying, if you are part of the Squidguild (you agree to only sell models on turbosquid, but you get a higher % royalties), depending on what level you are, you have access to all sorts of metrics from Turbosquid.  Top keyword searches, top selling keyword searches, top selling formats, top selling categories, etc.  Stuff like that can definitely help steer you in the right direction as far as what sorts of things you might want to sell.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Turbosquid majorly rips you off with the percentage they take, in my opinion.
  • CrackRockSteady
    @Joopson I agree, I only sell model on Turbosquid to make a little extra cash and I put very little effort into it.  If someone is looking to sell models as a primary source of income I would definitely recommend checking out some of the other asset stores that have been mentioned.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Unity asset store is a viable option. It's definitely not a lottery in any case though, you just need to approach it properly and substantially. I.e, not just publishing random assets randomly, but coming up with a business plan and thinking through your approach properly.

What do developers want when they turn to stock assets? IMO they want a wide library of assets that are style and quality consistent, and are visually inoffensive and functionally are the things they're looking to buy.

What does that mean? Well it means don't have 5 characters, 2 rocks, a water texture and a lamp post. You want to be the one-stop for all their X needs. Why? Because we don't want to buy from 10 different authors, it would be prohibitively inconsistent in style, aesthetic etc. I'd rather come to you to get all the foliage for my game, or all the rocks, or all the city props. 

Doesn't mean you only do rocks of course, but it does mean do all the rocks we'd need, not just three or four. Because I'm not buying one rock from you that doesnt match the 20 rocks I have already. I'd rather buy 50 rocks from you. You can then do another set of say, sci fi props or urban or whatever but make each set of assets substantial.

Which brings me to the next important thing: Don't make hero assets. We don't come to buy hero assets, we do those in house. We come to you for the thousands of things that we'd rather not put our most creative people on because their time is better spent elsewhere.
    So all the little props and pieces, not the stars of the show. And on that note, i should reiterate that you aren't trying to steal the show. If your asset draws the eye it isnt going to get used. Go for an inoffensive style that isn't _too_ stylised in any particular unique direction. Ideally realism or the most common stylised look.

This kind of sucks for character artists though. Most devs that are going to substantially invest in you (buy your entire library) are not interested in your characters, they've got their own :/ If you're a character artist you really should just be freelancing instead, because nobody wants everyone else's characters. If you really want to make money doing assets and are a character artist, do base meshes, clothing and accessories. Lots of them, all consistent.

and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL: don't impose your shitty colour pallette choices on us. Always provide source psd or sbs and ideally, high poly source too so we can adjust anything to match the game. Don't mind paying more for this.

The rest is obvious; high quality, well made assets that are to current AAA standard.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    many devs buy assets to use them as placeholders so I don't think character artists are screwed by default.
    I suspect that what sells best is character packs that are tailored towards some very common indie genre and use classes or archetypes that are standard in that genre.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Blaisoid said:
    many devs buy assets to use them as placeholders so I don't think character artists are screwed by default.
    I suspect that what sells best is character packs that are tailored towards some very common indie genre and use classes or archetypes that are standard in that genre.
    Not to mention the fact that many buyers are not professional studios, but indie devs looking to flip assets and make their game with as little cost/effort as possible.
    Mobile in particular; don't underestimate the fact that every mobile platform is flooded with literally thousands of shovelware games per day.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Yeah you can target shovelware developers and bedroom indies if you like. Bedroom indies arent going to pay your bills with the amount they buy though, and shovelware developers, well, half of them pirate/rip off assets and the other half use creative commons assets so far as I can see :/

I'd rather target the professionals :)
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Chimp said:
    <snip>
    That's extremely informative. Thank you very much for your insight.