Home Adobe Substance

Substance : issue with multiple textureSet Baking

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Lether polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys,

I'm learning this amazing tool : substance painter. I thought i understood the baking process. But no... (ahah)

Well, i ran into a problem.

I have an object with two textures set. One, the "corps" texture set is okay (good normal etc).
But the "lentille_arriere" doesn't work (big aliasing on edge). Cage doesn't work at all for "lentille_arriere". And with frontal and rear distance, it's working, but with big aliasing (i use subsampling 2x2).

- I think my cage is okay, it's working on a part of mesh.
- My uv's are okay, everything is between (1,1).
- My meshes are correctly named for "by mesh name" matching.
- No n-gone spotted on low an cage.

Thanks for your help.

Please, say me if i forgot to explain something on the problem.
And sorry for my approximative english...

Replies

• Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Can you make sure your cage and the mesh have the exact same UV? That's a requirement for cages to work properly in Painter.
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Hi Jeremie, thank you very much for your answer.

I didn't know if my uv's matched, so i make a new cage. Now uv's are matching and the issue still remain. Maybe my issue come form my export workflow? I named all my mesh with the suffix high/low and export all in three fbx (fujinon_low, _high and _cage).

Is it possible if the problem come from unclosed mesh? (for optimisation purpose, i deleted some useless faces)

Here is a screenshot of the new issue maybe it will give you a clue?
    /EDIT When i see the bad normal map i see like an overlapping with the good normal map. Maybe i forgot activating something?

• Zyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyth polycounter lvl 12
    I'm having issues with this too.  Doing a number of tests results in the following:

• Exporting the low poly for Texture Set 01 and Texture Set 02 into one project along with both their cages results in baking errors.  Baking without the cage results in a good bake.
    • Exporting the low poly for Texture Set 01 into it's own project along with the cages for both Texture Set 01 and Texture Set 02 results in baking errors.
    • Exporting the low poly for Texture Set 01 into it's own project with only it's cage results in a good bake.
    • Exporting the low poly for Texture Set 02 into it's own project with only it's cage results in a good bake.

The same high poly was used for all of these tests.  That is the high poly for both Texture Set 01 and Texture Set 02 exported into one file.  In instances of bad bakes the errors seemed to be isolated to Texture Set 01.  Texture Set 02 baked with no errors.  In Substance Painter's rendering settings, Match is set to "By Mesh Name".

For these tests I used two cubes.  Each with their own cages and high poly.  I used the following names:

• For the low poly:  Box001_low and Box002_low were exported into one FBX file named "cageTest001_lp"
    • For the high poly:  Box001_high and Box002_high were exported into one OBJ file named "cageTest001_hp"
    • For the cages:  Box001_cage and Box002_cage were exported into one FBX file named "cageTest001_cage"

Either I'm getting the naming convention for the cage file wrong or Substance Painter is having difficulty dealing with cages and multiple texture sets.  It would be nice if the guys at Allegorithmic could look into this.

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Zyth said:

Either I'm getting the naming convention for the cage file wrong or Substance Painter is having difficulty dealing with cages and multiple texture sets.  It would be nice if the guys at Allegorithmic could look into this.
    The cage is not filtered by texture set. If you want to use one you will have to use multiple cage mesh and bake each texture one by one. Matching by name is ignored for the cage too.

Lether said:
    Hi Jeremie, thank you very much for your answer.

I didn't know if my uv's matched, so i make a new cage. Now uv's are matching and the issue still remain. Maybe my issue come form my export workflow? I named all my mesh with the suffix high/low and export all in three fbx (fujinon_low, _high and _cage).

Is it possible if the problem come from unclosed mesh? (for optimisation purpose, i deleted some useless faces)

Here is a screenshot of the new issue maybe it will give you a clue?
    /EDIT When i see the bad normal map i see like an overlapping with the good normal map. Maybe i forgot activating something?
    From the look of your bake, I would say some of your mesh are mis-aligned, probably the high-poly. It seems they don't overlap properly and therefor you end up will a lot of empty space in the normal which is then filled with the padding.
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry for very late reply. Thank you for your support. I'll give a try when i'll can work on this mesh again. Thanks again :)