Home Career & Education

Not Growing Fast Enough as an Artist

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
Hey Polycount,  

I was wondering if anyone else struggles with the fact that they don't feel that they're improving & growing as fast as they should be as an artist?  Granted I know that I've improved over time because my old work in college was pretty rough.  But, I've been out of college for a long time now and I feel I should be in a better spot artistically.  

And when I see sketchbook threads of people making leaps and bounds in a year or two it makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong as an artist.  I'm disciplined and pretty focused when it comes to trying to improve by working on personal projects, my portfolio, studies/tutorials, or freelance work with any down time I have.  

If you guys have any advice or guidance that you know of, or things that have definitely helped you with this subject I'd love to hear them!  :smile:

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to the rest of your life - always wanting to be better is something you'll have to get used to.  What are you aspiring to currently?  Everyone has art heroes living or dead they'd like to be equals with some day.   You might even pm those people you mentioned and ask if they can identify a turning point for them and see if it also works for you.
    Well I definitely get that I'll always want to improve.  But, I just feel that I'm not moving fast enough. My portfolio and skills are still pretty weak, even though I've been working on them non-stop for years. And I know it's too broad, but I'm hoping to be a Game Artist.  I like 3D, but I've kind of fallen into pixel art as well so obviously I know that dipping into both will slow down the process of the other ones.  

Either way definitely appreciate the feedback @TeriyakiStyle! Thanks!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Teriyaki said.
    I think that by saying "And I know it's too broad, but I'm hoping to be a Game Artist." you are already answering your question. I bet those artist you have been following the progress are focusing on one thing, or at least a couple of subjects that can or will complement each other in the future.  I know is hard to focus on one thing when you are curious about it all, I go trough that every day as well, but we need to realize that we will NEVER be able to do everything we want. Only thing left is to focus on the few that will truly make a change on our life.
    You said you already have the discipline, just add focus to it and you got the formula to awesomeness. Or so they say. 
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rohMizuno said:
    What Teriyaki said.
    I think that by saying "And I know it's too broad, but I'm hoping to be a Game Artist." you are already answering your question. I bet those artist you have been following the progress are focusing on one thing, or at least a couple of subjects that can or will complement each other in the future.  I know is hard to focus on one thing when you are curious about it all, I go trough that every day as well, but we need to realize that we will NEVER be able to do everything we want. Only thing left is to focus on the few that will truly make a change on our life.
    You said you already have the discipline, just add focus to it and you got the formula to awesomeness. Or so they say. 
    This is definitely true.  I guess a big struggle I'm facing is that I kinda fell into pixel art and it's something I enjoy and people are willing to comission me for it.  But, my current day job has me doing 3D and with how fast 3D is evolving I feel like I'm constantly playing catch up.  Either way solid advice so really appreciate it! 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I don't have any suggestions for improving any faster as an artist, but I have noticed one thing... Are all the images on your portfolio PNG? I think you've got some massive files on there because everything takes ages to load.
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any suggestions for improving any faster as an artist, but I have noticed one thing... Are all the images on your portfolio PNG? I think you've got some massive files on there because everything takes ages to load.
    Well, I know the images with transparency are PNGs.  But, good to know! After I fix the images I'll at least know for sure that something should be faster! :lol:
    Thanks!
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Work with people better than yourself - join a team / company. I'd advise against teams of students/straight out of college, you want to move up not circle around the same ideas and proficiency :) Nothing like a job to make you up your game
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Chimp said:
    Work with people better than yourself - join a team / company. I'd advise against teams of students/straight out of college, you want to move up not circle around the same ideas and proficiency :) Nothing like a job to make you up your game
    That's definitely something I'm looking to do! Been hanging out on polycount more to surround myself with those folks!  Appreciate the feedback! :smile:
  • Abe_Azel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abe_Azel null
    Model more , grab concepts that you wouldn't dare to touch and challenge yourself the better you are at modeling the better youll be  when you want to make your own design , keep Modeling !
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    Everyone feels that way. Often times that feeling will push you to make huge gains.
    I know it pushed me.
    Although to be fair I had OCD also, haha. ;)
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abe_Azel said:
    Model more , grab concepts that you wouldn't dare to touch and challenge yourself the better you are at modeling the better youll be  when you want to make your own design , keep Modeling !
    I'm actually getting on that right now with the Polycount Monthly challenge!  Appreciate your feedback! 
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi said:
    Everyone feels that way. Often times that feeling will push you to make huge gains.
    I know it pushed me.
    Although to be fair I had OCD also, haha. ;)
    Yeah, I feel like that is the way of the artist.  I'm just wondering if I'm either not pushing myself hard enough on creating art or not picking up techniques fast enough.  Either way, gonna keep learning and growing.  Thanks! :smiley: