Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: tatianawow

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
tatianawow polycounter lvl 2
Hey everybody,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm a senior at UTD working on my capstone project and you guys have been an inspiration to me over the last few years. I've been working as a graphic designer but I'm hoping to move into 3D character art when I grow up.

Critique is definitely welcome.

Replies

• tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

First concept I'm working off of. Finished this last semester for my pre-production final. Hoping to have the final model done by the beginning of March.
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Been working on this for the last two weeks, got the face and the clothing pretty far along. 20 versions later and I'm still struggling with the stylized facial proportions. Eyebrows and lashes are just placeholder.
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Renders I did last week for a progress presentation. I've made some small edits since this - moved on to UVs and porting the fibermesh over to maya.
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

At some point I did actually finish this.
  • Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dartist polycounter lvl 3
    You should, looking amazing!

• MrKneecap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow. This is beautiful!! Good work
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Love the take on a ghost buster ( blue collar pest control ) type of character as being kinda creepy pasta ghoulish as well.
    I always associated swirly eyes with madness or hypnotic trance but I suppose the swirling energy contained in his equipment mirrors the spiral in his eyes? Selling a concept where his meat is re-animated by the same spirit asset/energy?
    In which case...
    maybe reinforce as much by leveraging the same blue palette the captured ghost is rendered with to sell the concept that such eyes are the window to as much?

Perhaps instead of just a spiral motif u could have a range expressed with common conventions?
    Like:

candle Flame for ( life's light perhaps slightly  leaking blueish smoke at the edges to sell that flame as the ethereal )
    or 
    smoke leaking extending further designating being tired ( like extinguishing life )
    or 
    Perhaps smoke as tears? ( tendrils extending downwards instead of up designating the heavy-ness of despair and the falling of tears? )

Spiral for crazy

X for dead ( as in dead dead instead of undead? )  X X

hyphen - for a glitch/frustration/double take/pause...   -  -

Question mark for confusion...?  ?
    etc.. ( ? ! $ * # ) 

"  " <-- animated undead eyeball air quotes ? :p

Not really a critique I suppose...
    would just enjoy seeing ghost smoke living in the eyes expressed in that way?
    Although I do associate spiral eyes as meaning madness/trance as it's a pretty common caricature motif?

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    On second thought...
    I suppose spirals could easily symbolize "possession" ?
    ( like gears turning... running the clockworks behind the scene as it were? )

In which case differing color motivation might actually be apropos?
    ( yer violet choice would serve to designate that possessing "personality"... )

Where "red" could represent a demonic possession?
    or
    Perhaps possession as a disorder?
    Like multiple spirits vying for the same "seat" (  M. Night Shyamalan style ) where "Split" personality conflict could be expressed with manic changing colors? 
  • ajramsey28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    Hey I know you! We had some classes together at UTD! Pre production and Capstone! You should so post the other character you modeled for this project. She was adorable!!
  • LoveBite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoveBite null
    Probably not the best feedback, but I love your style!
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dartist @MrKneecap @LoveBite Thanks so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it.  :)

@claydough, These are really great ideas! When I was initially designing the characters I think I just thought of it as a way to convey otherworldliness, or at least an inhuman quality. The whole tone of the animatic I did for this was pretty campy though ha. I have been experimenting with more unique pupil designs so I can definitely mess around with some of your suggestions.

@ajramsey28 Hey I remember you! I will right now. I just checked out your artstation and I am loving your inktober stuff!
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here's the second model I did. This one is a bit jankier than the other one because I had to to rush her toward the end but I'm still pretty happy with her.
  • ajramsey28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    so awesome you posted her! Shes so cute! I hope youre still doing character modeling. youre very good at it. 
    Thanks about the inktober stuff, wish I had the time to finish the whole month, maybe next year. haha

• tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ajramsey28 Thanks! I am still character modeling but I'm a lot slower at getting them out now because of my job. I'll keep an eye out for more of your work!

Here's the third one.
  • rose_moth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rose_moth vertex
    How did you render the hair? I know you created the curves in zbrush, but I am SO lost on how to bring it to the next level of rendering after that :(
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rose_moth I bring the curves into Maya and set up a nhair system and then use Arnold hair shaders to do the final renders. I just searched zbrush fibermesh to maya nhair and did some tutorials to get the hang of it but I'm not sure it is the best or most efficient way of doing it. I am going to try to switch to xgen for the newer character and see how that goes. If you need help with a project I would be happy to explain it in more detail.  :)

Here are the most important things I learned from messing up hair and having to start over a million times:
    -POLYGROUPS FOR THE HAIR (in zbrush). I usually make one poly group for every major shape of the hair style, even when working with poly hair.
    - Make sure your zbrush fibermesh curves have enough segments to support the hair style you're creating. When you bring that into maya or whatever 3D software you use those will be vertices on the guide curves and, at least in my experience, you'll still have to adjust them a bit.
    -When exporting from zbrush, reduce the number of curves significantly
    -actually attach the hair to the head or your turntable experience will be a nightmare  :#
    -Be ready for your render time to quadruple
  • rose_moth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rose_moth vertex
    Can you send me a link to the tutorials you used? 
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I am still making models and I will try to post stuff here more often :#
  • tatianawow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I am actually doing Retrogasm this year! Here is my Andy from Advance Wars progress so far