Home Technical Talk

What exactly is happening, can't even name the problem.

Nakuri
null
Offline / Send Message
Nakuri null
Hello everyone,
we're working on our first 3D Models for a project. We're working with C4D and use Substance Painter II for texturing. We have two seperate eyelids for animation and should be near identical. They share the same material and yet one is looking off. One of them looks as intended, being nicely opaque. The other one seems off, you can see a spherical shape within the eyelid almost as if it is seethrough. Maybe this is an error/mistake people can clearly call out by just seeing it so that I know where I could start my troubleshooting.

(You can ignore other visual errors, they don't exist in our proper current revision. But the right eyelid of the model is still wrong as shown!)

Replies

• Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like the normals are inverted, by chance did you make the eyelid by duplicating and setting the scale to -1 on one of the axis?
  • Nakuri
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakuri null
    Ough, spot on. I did exactly that when I created that Eyelid. Is that a problem? We tried using Reverse Normals to see if that works but that only makes it worse since it gets transparent.
  • Woodrocker
    I spotted this problem at different 3d modelling programs, when duplicating and mirroring a mesh. sometimes in the viewport it looks "normal" but when exporting to fbx, obj or another polyformat it seems that the normals are mirrored too...

solution: flip normals, make a primitive mesh, attach the lid and delete the primitive again, then somehow the clear information of the primitive is somehow transfered to your mirrored mesh and all should be fine! hope this works for you!
  • Nakuri
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakuri null
    Thank you guys, the problem is solved. The culprit really was as you pointed out the scale being put to -1 to mirror it. I can't believe how much unidentifiable trouble it caused.