Home Marmoset

Polygon Smoothness

chippwalters
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
chippwalters polycounter lvl 4
I've got this object in 3D Coat and it renders thusly there:

and wires:

but when I bring it into Toolbag (with all maps) it doesn't smooth correctly. There are serious smoothing artifacts. Is there a way to set the smoothing angle in Toolbag or is there some other way I can fix this? TIA.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no way to set smoothing inside Toolbag 3. Toolbag imports the mesh normals (smoothing) from your 3D app, so make sure to check your export settings so that the mesh normals are being saved.

You can try adjusting the tangent space as well, it should match the tangent space of your normal map baking app. You can set that in the object properties. You can set a default tangent space in edit-> preferences, which will apply to newly imported meshes.
  • chippwalters
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chippwalters polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks so much! I was able to finally get this to work with some extra help from the 3D Coat forum and your input here.
    For those interested, here's the workflow:
    1. Export from 3D Coat with the following settings. Note the EXPORT CONSTRUCTOR and Marmoset Blinn (or GGX) Export Preset

Then in Toolbag:
    Note Tangent Space for object = 3D Studio Max (on the left) and on the right Normal Map with Scale and Bias ON and Object Space OFF. Hook up Normal Map, Gloss Map, Albedo Map and Metalness (not Specular) map. Set Reflection to GGX or Blinn based on which you used when exporting from 3D Coat. (Right-click image to view full size)