Home Technical Talk

UV shells stuck together! Maya 2016

emerald-shine
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
emerald-shine polycounter lvl 4
So does anyone know whats happening here?

My UV shells ARE seperate, soft selection is off and its affecting all my scences. This shot is from a 2 month old model. Ive been searching for a solution for over an hour and the only thing Ive found is it being related to soft select and to turn that off. But it is off.

has anyone else come across this?

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No good. I've restarted Maya several times. The soft selection is only affecting the UVs. The models geometry is working as expected. I was ableto move the shells individually by drag selecting the UVs and shrinking soft selection right down, but this is really not ideal. I have repaired Maya via control pannel and nothing changed, I did notice that before I notice this issue, I trouble exporting my model as an FBX file. I went to the plugin manager and found that alot of plugins were disabled. After re-enabling them I encountered this issue. Could they be related? Ive read that plugins can conflict with certian functions but I dont see how that could be since they were disabled.

I think at this point I'm going to try a full reinistall and hope that does the trick. Ive used Maya for years and never seen this.
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, fresh install did nothing. What the hell?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It's happening even on a basic cube?
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was untill I found a fix...very simple fix!
    I went to my docs/maya and renamed the prefs folder to prefs.old, the restarted Maya and rejoiced when everything worked. It reste myshelf, but hey I can work again :)

• waggahboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waggahboy null
    THANKSSSS , it worked for me too!
  • emerald-shine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to be of service. I do keep coming across this still. I'd love to know what causes this so I can stop it happening again. We shouldnt have to keep reseting it for basic functions to work properly.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to know too! I sometimes get it from other peoples' imported models (probably always FBX). Instead of resetting prefs, just detach the offending faces into a new object and combine again. I've never reset preferences for this issue, I can't even think of what's in there that would cause or be solved by this. I'm thinking that restarting maya might have been the solution instead; I'll try it next time it comes up.