Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dungeon Entrance concept location (critics required)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
iEvgeni polycounter lvl 2
Finished a location concept lately. Somehow i am in a mood of making smt creepy, not sure why :)
It's supposed to be a location with a Giants. I did a couple of color variations. I like to experiment with colors.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VY3gR

Replies

• miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Your mood and first composition is well established, I like the giant moon on the background, it serves a great composition tool to frame the destination skull, like a frame and a picture, good job.
    There are a few things bugging me, the font is way toooooooo big, bigger than the subjects in the concept, is it that important? I'd make it more discrete.
    The stream of birds is another great tool, well used, but white is often angelic, shouldn't it have a darker emphasis if you put bats instead? Honest question.

Perspective seems a bit off to me, did you brainstorm a couple of thumbs and added the perspective grid while developing this?
    I have a collection of pins that may help you, I collected from facebook critiques from a concept artist from Halo: https://pt.pinterest.com/ignitionchemist/fixescompositiondesign/
  • iEvgeni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iEvgeni polycounter lvl 2
    miguelnarayan Thank you so much :) I used a big font because at some point i thought about this picture like the one in the game loading screen. Usually there is a text with  some info, like location name. But i dont usually make text that big in landscapes, just cause it might cover some important suff. Here behind the text is basically nothing going on so i  left it as it is. But you got a point.

About the birds, yes i totally agree in this dark, evil scene they rather be black than white it would make more sense. But i wanted them to pop up more, so the black color would fail here (just in my opinion). But those white birds actually could make some unexpected story telling actually. Maybe those giants once were angels and the evil diablo made them zombies and... idk..ah

I actually didn't used perpective grid, my bad. I guess i was to carried away of developing a mood and color theme. I will check out those pins for sure.
    Again, thank you for the critic, i am always interested to hear somebodies opinion about how to improv. have a nice day :)
  • Harconem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harconem polycounter lvl 3
    Hey! This looks awesome, really cool concept! I have a couple ideas that could work - but they're just suggestions :)

I would just make sure your painting is split into a clear foreground, midground and background, with the background being considerably lighter in value than the foreground - just to create the illusion of more depth. Also, don't be afraid to scale up your warrior because the skulls surrounding him appear to be massive compared to his head! In fact, making you dungeon entrance bigger as well could be a great way to make sure your audience looks there first, as well as bolster that imposing atmosphere I think you're going for!

Also, just a small thing I noticed - the clouds have a dark outline all the way around them, which is drawing my eye. 

I love the colour scheme and the general vibe of the painting! Very creepy!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    overall its a pretty cool piece, for me it dosnt really fee like a "dungeon entrance" though.

it looks like the whole thing is elevated on a mountain instead of going down into the mountain.  the scale of the birds are also feeling a bit of, either the perspective is of and they are much further away then what the scale of the adventurer implies.

I think its a good start, but there are some small things here and there that could be tweaked to really make an impact.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.