Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Which point in organic modelling does UV mapping and painting start?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SummonedSpirit polycounter lvl 2
Hey Polycount,

I'm starting a study on my first high poly character (A ship cat). I've looked around youtube and seen several videos however they don't seem to pin point what actually goes behind before the UV and painting takes place.

From what I understand after a character has been T/A posed or in this case a creature is just posed standing. We will flesh out the detail and paint on a high poly model before creating a low poly clone to create a UV map. At this point must we actually turn off dynamesh and increase sub divisions before sculpting and painting in the fine details? Or is there a way to turn off dynamesh after sculpting the fine details and then simplifying for UV mapping? 

Replies

• Yazen
    Offline / Send Message
    Yazen polycounter lvl 2
    You need to retopologize your model and bake the details into the low poly version after it has been retopologized. I recommend looking into a software called 3D coat. Its very useful. Im also a newbie but that is how I understand it. 
  • Tummibear
    Offline / Send Message
    Tummibear polycounter lvl 4
    You shouldn't need dynamesh if you're getting ready to do your high poly sculpt. What's your geometry like? It might be smart to run it through Zremesher and clean up any messy polys before subdividing and sculpting.
    After that, I personally duplicate the subtool, use decimation master to lower the polygons to an acceptable level, and then you can either retopologize [In your case maybe your medium poly mesh] with Zspheres in Zbrush or retopologize in Maya (Which is my preference) using live surfaces.
    From there, it makes it a breeze to UV unwrap the low poly and begin texture mapping.
    It would be easier to help if you had screens included.
  • SummonedSpirit
    Offline / Send Message
    SummonedSpirit polycounter lvl 2
    Tummibear said:
    You shouldn't need dynamesh if you're getting ready to do your high poly sculpt. What's your geometry like? It might be smart to run it through Zremesher and clean up any messy polys before subdividing and sculpting.
    After that, I personally duplicate the subtool, use decimation master to lower the polygons to an acceptable level, and then you can either retopologize [In your case maybe your medium poly mesh] with Zspheres in Zbrush or retopologize in Maya (Which is my preference) using live surfaces.
    From there, it makes it a breeze to UV unwrap the low poly and begin texture mapping.
    It would be easier to help if you had screens included.
    I had dynamesh on as I was blocking it out. Its basically a cat. After that I wasn't sure how to continue if I should keep dynamesh on as I sculpted the finer details or sub divide it. 
  • Tummibear
    Offline / Send Message
    Tummibear polycounter lvl 4
    Don't know if you're still having that issue, but imo it's better to UV, then subdivide so you can export normals directly from Zbrush.
  • Lucospade
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    When you do your last retopo.