Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Victorian Mansion

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6
Greetings!  thought i'd post detailing the progress for a project i'm working on in my free-time. I don't always have time to work on it, but i'll try and update as I go. :)

The project is based off the Morey Mansion although I made some slight edits to make it more modular and a little easier to manage. I'm working from pictures (which I'm finding to be limited at some angles) so improvising and moving things around a bit is definitely going to be a thing that happens. I don't intend to model the interior, but my next step is a bit more modeling before I move on to texturing. 

I also intend to teach myself Substance painter and/or designer, so any resources regarding that would be super useful! It's been about a year since I've done any proper modeling/texturing, so I'm a bit out of the loop on what all the cool kids do now.  :D
Ref: (wasnt going for a exact replica, wanted to make it more modular)

Latest:

Progress:

Oldish layout of Textures:

Replies

• ReneFisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ReneFisher polycounter lvl 6

I thought for sure I had given more updates than just the initial post, but anyways, I finally had enough time to work on this again...
    Still struggling a bit with the windows and how to handle them... there's no interior so I can't actually make it transparent but the blinds seems a little repetitive and boring. Open to suggestions!
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, great work so far! Have you considered desaturating your textures a bit? For the windows you can try bump offset - my university teacher has a good video on this

https://youtu.be/9KN6Q4yVwGo
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    You could place your blinds outside, make them broken or uneven here and there have the bump offset thing behind them, that would look pretty cool (but just an idea please don't feel like I want to tell you what to do!:)
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    This looks nice so far! One thing I noticed right away is the scale of the fin-shaped wood slats on the upstairs parts is very large  - I'd bring that down to at least half that size if you are going for something more realistic.