Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

No Man's Sky Fanart, Discovering the Monolith

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10

Hey folks! My goal with this environment was to learn how to use UE4 in the span of one month and come out with a portfolio-ready piece by the end of it. I also took the opportunity to get a bit into some vehicle design by creating a star fighter as part of the environment centerpiece along with learning how to create different types of vegetation!  

I learned a heck of a lot and I'm really happy with the result! 

Link to the Artstation post with embedded marmoset viewer of the starfighter here!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty cool!  At first glance I think you got the likeness pretty well.

First thing that stood out to me was your sky.  When I think of no mans sky, I always think of that "vintage" tone.  Particularly, their skies, at least in marketing and promo shots, always shifted more towards a teal or a green.  I think adjusting the sky color will pull this more in line.

Also, maybe this is a moot point since you planned to work on this for a month and move on, but I think slightly more variation in tree size would help.  You have that variation, but its easy to miss, since everything is a uniform height.  Get a couple really big trees in there to break that up!
  • BoueeDeSecours
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's really cool, the ship and its textures are just awesome, the scene looks pretty good too.
    But I think you can improve it, just add some mountain or pit to the scene and few ship flying away.
    And can I ask you which software you used to make the ship ?