Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKS-74 (1983)

Bek
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Bek interpolator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QfpC8n1f8E

There are more pics on my Artstation, or you can see some higher quality pics on my portfolio (read below).

some self-crits:
- shouldn't have mirrored gas block sides, so I could have scratch for the release lever on righthand side
- cleaning rod is too thin

Also, I'm testing out .bpg image format on my portfolio, if you could test it out and tell me if you have any issues that would be most helpful. It doesn't seem to work on mobile devices for one. The images are all high quality and 2560x1440, but range from only 40-180kb. Unfortunately the decoder seems a little slow. Anyway, any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

And if you own Arma 3, you can shoot the damn thing when RHS:AFRF 0.4.2 drops.

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice model! Texturing is really well done, I especially like the wood on the lower handguard. Portfolio worked fine here. :)
  • ComradeDispenser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    got a few personal issues with this one.

Model is absolutely sublime, make no mistake about this. The bakes are about as perfect as it gets, I haven't noticed any issues with that. Absolutely great work.

Can say the same about the wood too - I'd actually like to see some sources, those photos could be very useful.

However, I can't say the same about the metal. Granted, the edge wear and such is great, but it doesnt have any large scale details to set it apart, and as of right now, the metal looks like stone from a distance. Usually it has to do with the lighting (adding point lights really helps with highlighting the gloss map), but sometimes it has to do with the fact that there is no gloss map to begin with. I'm not quite sure which one is it, but one thing I know for sure - adding more glossy details in the gloss map may subtract some from the realism factor (depends on how you do it, of course), but it definitely makes the gun look more appealing.

That's all I have to say. Best of luck to you in your future projects.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Daf57 said:
    Nice model! Texturing is really well done, I especially like the wood on the lower handguard. Portfolio worked fine here. :)
    Ah awesome, thanks for checking.
    However, I can't say the same about the metal. Granted, the edge wear and such is great, but it doesnt have any large scale details to set it apart, and as of right now, the metal looks like stone from a distance. Usually it has to do with the lighting (adding point lights really helps with highlighting the gloss map), but sometimes it has to do with the fact that there is no gloss map to begin with. I'm not quite sure which one is it, but one thing I know for sure - adding more glossy details in the gloss map may subtract some from the realism factor (depends on how you do it, of course), but it definitely makes the gun look more appealing.
    Thanks for the crits. Compared to a lot of models the gloss is a bit under-represented. I did try to have some differences per-material (There's a tiny bit more on the rear sight base, but overall it is quite mute, yes). Perhaps it was inadvisable but I tried to replicate photographs more than focusing on producing a gloss map that's nice to look at in 2d. If I pick something to do that won't end up in Arma I'll try to find something where I can really go crazy with the wear and try to push those gloss details. Texturing is still my #1 focus to improve upon. In most renders I used a fair few sky child lights + one point light parented behind the camera, but I'll experiment more with extra point lights.