Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Prylos triangle
Greetings everyone! I'm new to polycount, I joined because I want to learn and get better. I recently moved to Los Angeles in search of a job but I believe my portfolio needs a lot of work.

Here's a link to what I have so far.
 https://alexszopinski.artstation.com

Thank you!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fact that you are using Artstation for your portfolio means you are already avoiding a ton of pitfalls people usually fall into with bad websites.  You should probably fill out the summary on the resume page though:P

I don't think your work is half bad.  There is plenty of room to improve of course.  I think the Alliance Dropship is the piece that shows the worst. The fact that the whole thing is red, and the details are kinda basic and lacking a lot of material variety makes this look much more simplistic than your other pieces.

I think the blue devil car is pretty cool!

You do a lot of vehicles, are you wanting to be a vehicle artist?  You should try to get an idea for what you want to do specifically.  If you want to be an environment person, only having 1 environment and a bunch of props/vehicles will be held against you.

You don't have any glaringly bad habits, and your work is is neither awful nor incredibly good, so its difficult point you in a specific direction.  I think you just need to narrow in on the type of work you want to do, and just keep making stuff. Just keep pumping out work and getting feedback from Polycount as you go.  Keep trying to improve with each piece and bump up the quality and remove the lower quality stuff as you go. 
  • Prylos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
    Thank you! I really dislike the dropship too. The design feels particularly uninspired to me. It's stubby and lacks organic shapes. I have so few things though and I don't know if I'm better off with it or without it on there. I want to do environment art, but it just takes so long to do an entire scene. I was thinking of doing a motorcycle next because time is of the essence but now I'm not so sure, perhaps I should work on an environment.

I also made an original level for gmod on the steam workshop but It's using a dated game engine. I don't think it really has a place on my portfolio but I include it in my resume.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337825623
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    just a critique on the site itself. I'd suggest against a bright white background. In my experience, its jarring to the eyes. Something less bright, closer to a 60% grey, would be more relaxing on the eyes. 
  • Prylos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prylos triangle
    Thanks. I changed the theme to dark.