Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recent paintings. Critique would be much appreciated :)

Replies

• Johnny_Marmalade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some really good talent and have a decent understanding of anatomy, my biggest criticism would be the anatomy in the arms, they look a bit unnatural. The other is the blurriness of the characters, it loses detail and can make the actual character blend in the environment a bit.
  • Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stygias polycounter lvl 4
    You have some really good talent and have a decent understanding of anatomy, my biggest criticism would be the anatomy in the arms, they look a bit unnatural. The other is the blurriness of the characters, it loses detail and can make the actual character blend in the environment a bit.
    Thanks @Johnny_Marmalade
    Now that you mention it, I do see my flaws when it comes to drawing upper arms and their relation to the body. I will definitely start doing studies to improve this.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    define your edges, period. its a little and very easy thing to do, but it would bump up the quality of work by a lot.
  • Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet  I completely over looked that!
    Thanks for the wake up call, I will keep repeating the word edges to myself from now on.
    Similar to what @Johnny_Marmalade said about blurriness, but I just didn't even consider the term Edge work 

• Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here's a piece I've been working on, the deadline for this is the 17th.
    Granted I'm not finished with the painting yet (It's about 75% done), I would like any and all crit on how it is so far.
    Thanks in advance 

Edit: Not actually a piece for Starbound
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    They still need work, but I can tell your working on your edges, at least on your characters.

its especially obvious in this piece though, that your background tends to just be a blurry mess. its better to have defined silhouettes that at least read like something then detail and brushwork that doesn't really ad up to anything.

I basically just went over the piece with the lasso tool and defined a bunch of flat surfaces, defining what you already have suggested, but never really committed to. I also made sure things got darker closer to the screen and lighter as it went further away from the camera. thats its, super simple really :)

• Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hot damn, thank you so much for the paintover and feedback. Really helpful and wakes me up to how much I still need to learn!
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey no problem :)
    you are really not that far away from It I think. you have the basics there already, its evident in your suggestive shapes, the problem is, they are just that, suggestive. It really didnt take me long at all to clean it up and define everything, which again, proves its all there, just hidden away :p
  • Eliza_Mosk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eliza_Mosk null
    The anatomy on your characters is looking pretty good, all I have to add on is that the characters appear a little blurry and sometimes blend into the background. Adding in more definition and sharper edges could help with that. The composition of your pieces are looking good too, keep up the hard work :)
  • Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eliza :smile: From now on I will be focusing on pushing the characters to stand out from the environment 

• Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here is the finished piece. Calling it 'Hunting party'.
    I'm done with this painting for now and will be moving on to focus a little more on studies.
    More Anatomy, rendering and materials :smile:

• Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Study painting, is 6 hours far too long for something of this standard?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Dont worry about time, especially not when practicing. take your time, make sure your learning.

a professional could probably do that and better in an hour, but that really isn't relevant. This whole speed painting trend that social media and Youtube started is really fking up a lot of new upcoming artist :/

I feel like im repeating myself in a lot of threads lately. but here we go again :pensive:
    lets look at it from a different perspective, have you ever heard of musicians comparing the time it took for them to finish a song? not really, because it dosnt matter, the end result does :)

just keep at it and the speed will come naturally as you get better.
  • Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stygias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Asylum Corridor