Home Technical Talk

Cryengine 5 or Unreal Engine 4

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
code7 polycounter lvl 4
Hello,
        I'm a Blender user and I'm thinking about creating a FPS game. I have looked at the Cryengine and UE4 and looks like both of them are free. I cannot decide which engine should I use.
Here are my requirements.
- Proper documentation for FPS.
-Low cost (last time I checked I have to pay for wwise licence(200+ sounds) if I use cryengine. Correct me if I'm wrong)
- Which engine has the better support for Blender.
- Which one is easy to learn(I'm not thinking about deep coding and stuff. just a simple FPS game ;) ).
By the way. I don't care which engine has the better graphic functions.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• shubham kumar
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    Both the engines have better graphics , visual scripting + traditional Scripting . 
    Cryengine 5 has  100% Dynamic  Lighting  and  UE 4  also has dynamic lighting but if you need performance you must use baked lighting but baked lighting is little bit headache in UE 4 with overlapping uv's and lightmap resolutions . 
    Biggest advantage you can get in UE 4 is you can do nearly anything with material editor , animated Muzzle flash , dynamic scope glass , you can also create dynamic weapon dirt , mud  and snow just like battlefield 1 . I don't think so Cryengine will give you this freedom . 
    ue 4 supports Blender just like Maya and 3ds max. If you are from Unity Background like me i defiantly recommend you UE 4 

• Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    If your computer can handle it, and you don't mind baking lighting sometimes, UE4 is probably the right choice. I say so because there's so much learning material out there compared with CryEngine, and generally the learning curve isn't as steep.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I personally picked Unreal Engine 4 because I didn't want to learn to code and blueprints was an easy way to create something without having too. But by doing that you will be heavily restricted but what EPIC does with the engine, so if they don't really care about your genre to much you might have to replan your game a bit.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Another one for UE4. I'm no coder but I can find a blueprint similar to what I need and adapt it. I've tried Cryengine and was very impressed with it but the amount of learning material led me back to Unreal. I also use Blender and its pretty much a snap fit.
  • code7
    Offline / Send Message
    code7 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the reply guys. I have downloaded the epicgames launcher and it keeps restarting the app download process(not the engine) and uses my whole bandwidth(I have a very slow internet connection). Looks like I will have to gave up :s
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    UE4 definitely will look better on a resume, there's at least ten times as many games and studios using UE4 over CryEngine. 
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    code7 said:
    Thanks for the reply guys. I have downloaded the epicgames launcher and it keeps restarting the app download process(not the engine) and uses my whole bandwidth(I have a very slow internet connection). Looks like I will have to gave up :s
    Keep trying. This happens to me every time. You just have to persevere. It's a pain but well worth it. UE4 is extremely artist-friendly and an excellent piece of software. Epic devs and community input pushes the engine forward at an astonishing rate of progress.
  • EliasWick
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Code7,

This will be a little bit of self advertisement, but since you are new, it could come to good use. I have a YouTube series on how you create and export your first model to UE4. I work in 3Ds max, but you may find some takeaways.
    All episodes are divided into categories so that you can find what you need.