Home Technical Talk

How to create Roughness/Glossiness maps

Raildex
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Raildex polycounter lvl 2
Hi there. I'm very new when it comes to texture creation.
I'd like to know how I create the Roughness/Glossiness map.

The Normal Map seems to be a starting point, since it may contain small details.
How do you create your roughness/glossiness?
I could also think of a blank/white roughness map, since rocks for example have no reflectivity.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    If you think that rock has no reflectivity, you should start by reading some pbr tutorials, because your concept on how shading really works is wrong. Everything has reflectivity, even they are standardized into 2 major categories. More in the link.

This writeup covers some good bases:
    https://www.marmoset.co/posts/physically-based-rendering-and-you-can-too/

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Roughness ≠ reflectivity. Rocks have reflection values and they are not 100% rough either. 

Reflectivity is not related to roughness or glossiness at all, it's a separate value.

A dusty rock is going to be very rough, maybe even completely rough, but a smooth rock from a river might actually be pretty polished and pretty glossy. Rocks in caves tend to be pretty smooth and more glossy as well, even when no longer wet. 
  • Raildex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the explanation although I haven't asked whether a rock has reflectivity or not.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    The tutorial I sent, would teach you about your original question... PBR and roughness is fully related to each other and if you want it to work/look nice, first you'd need to understand how pbr works.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raildex said:
    Thanks for the explanation although I haven't asked whether a rock has reflectivity or not.
    Cmon man :/

The point is, in order to properly paint these maps, you need to understand what they do.  The reflectivity was pointed out to you because you seemed confused on the difference between roughness and reflectivity.  

That link that @Obscura sent you would be a great place to start.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Raildex said:
    Remember, people here are trying to help you. You may not have asked but, what you stated: "I could also think of a blank/white roughness map, since rocks for example have no reflectivity." - shows that you don't understand the concept.

As mentioned above, everything on the planet that is affected by light has reflection. As well as studying the links obscura posted I would recommend downloading some materials from Substance or Quixel and studying the Roughness maps, and how they relate to the other maps. A roughness map would never have a pure black/white value as there will always be value changes at the micro-surface level. IMO, the roughness map is the most important map in the whole workflow as it is the map that most relates to us what the material actually is, i.e: rubber/stone/hard plastic/etc.
  • NoRank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoRank polycounter lvl 3
    It's pretty simple actually, roughness/glossines map is just a simple map that will have grayscales values. I don't really think that there will be a time where you will use full black or white thought.

Marmoset website and allegorithmic have some really good articles that explain it in depht if you want to know how it actually works.
  • Raildex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do understand what a roughness/gloss map is. That's not the problem.
    I just wanted to know what the common workflow is to create them.

About the "blank" roughness map: It was an example, because Rocks/ Stone have a high roughness and thus only few parts are grey-ish.
    It depends on the case of course.
  • EliasWick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EliasWick polycounter lvl 9
    Raildex said:
    I do understand what a roughness/gloss map is. That's not the problem.
    I just wanted to know what the common workflow is to create them.

About the "blank" roughness map: It was an example, because Rocks/ Stone have a high roughness and thus only few parts are grey-ish.
    It depends on the case of course.
    Hey,

Once you understand what these maps do, you have 3 alternative:

* Create them by hand = You can use built in Photoshop filters to simulate and create these maps. (This is really hard to do and may be inaccurate.)
    * Use software & plugins to generate a map from texture = Quixel or Substance, Some websites allow you to generate the maps you need.
    * 3D Application Baking = Baking high poly to low poly. 

One last thing, if you want to create something that looks good, I suggest that you listen to all of the guys above. They know what they are talking about.