Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tugodoomer's vehicle

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
cyberkho polycounter lvl 2
I made this lifter vehicle from a sketch done by a great artist tugodoomer...u could see his sketches on deviantart...all merits goes to him...hope ull appreciate it...enjoy...and welcome to all crits...

Replies

• X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    This feels like it could be an interesting model, but I feel like the material work and lighting are really letting it down. The materials themselves are good from what I can tell, but the application of them is what is lacking.

Your yellow paint has a roughly has a uniform amount of  dirt everywhere. There are some large areas that are rusted, and some areas where large chunks of paint have been worn off, but there is not one area that is a little bit clean. I would also like to see a little more variation in material roughness, as the whole thing is reading very flat at the moment. I can't quite determine whether that's a result of the materials, or the lighting.

Another thing that is hurting you is the fact that all of your hard edges have an equal amount of chipped paint. If feels to me like someone took a flat-head screwdriver and ran it across every hard edge. It is making the model look more faceted than it may be. It may be that all of your edges are too tight, but the edge-wear is just accentuating it. Break up those edges a bit. 

Hope you don't mind the paintover:

I cleaned up some areas of the yellow paint, added some roughness variation to the metals/glass, broke up some of those even edges (I would completely remove some of it, and add a bit more. Lastly, I adjusted the lighting a small amount.

To sum it up, the materials seem too procedurally applied. Get in there and make some organic choices. Also, improve the lighting so that your forms and materials read more clearly.

Lastly, consider putting in even the suggestion of an interior so you can make your glass materials even the slightest be transparent. I think even that will go a long way in improving the overall look.
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Cool model - nice work! I agree with X-One that the materials could use more thought. :)
  • cyberkho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyberkho polycounter lvl 2
    thx a lot guys for your advices especially x-one...will take in consideration the fact that the material are too procedural thats true...and in my opinion the lighting has to be improved...