Home Career & Education

Character Modelling, Where to start?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
fdfxd2 interpolator
I've been modelling hard surface for 6 years(7 now) with nothing all that impressive to show for it, sadly ): .

But now I want to see how it's like to model actual characters
So I just picked up a random male anatomy reference from the wiki and started attempting to model that.
And I'm not sure if I went about that the right way.

Should I learn how to draw IRL then sculpt instead of poly modelling on random references?
Should I actually learn and study anatomy?
Is there something I'm missing?

It feels like all that 6 years of modelling had been for nothing as I've been reduced to following tutorials to the letter.

I feel like a total noob right now :/

Replies

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, good start! It's definitely worth studying anatomy and muscle structure because that dictates things like your poly flow (not to mention it will make your character look more solid and believable when you know how to use and manipulate anatomy knowledge). This is extremely important to consider as the character will need to  deform correctly in animation. What is your topology like on this? Also, your hard surface modelling won't be wasted. Some characters need things such as armour and weapons, so it'll all come in handy :) Why the decision to change, may I ask? 
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    i'd say drawing trains your sense of observation and also your sense of "aesthetics" regarding silhouette, curves, transitions, balance and stuff like that. But it isn't mandatory. Sculpting and drawing are both linked together. I sometimes found that I improved in one of them by practicing the other. That said it's definitely worth giving a shot.

Sketching  has a major advantage : you're not really attached to it, it's way easier to forget about a bad sketch you've done in 3 minutes over a 3D body that took several days of work.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    If you can I would take a life drawing class, nothing else like it... it teaches you to sketch in forms rather than body parts/anatomy, which is really what it comes down to. Once you understand the forms everything else tends to follow.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator

@Melazee
    Thanks!

"Why the decision to change, may I ask?"

I just felt the need to try out a new field, and see whether it's really that hard.

@Amaury
    Oh okay, I guess that makes sense, I guess I'll learn how to draw then 

@Fuiosg
    Not really an option where I live, unfortunately :/