Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Old Abandoned Room

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Justin_J vertex
Hii polycount people,

New to polycount. I'm working on a small UE4 project in my spare time. 
It's a small abandoned scene (time period around the 1700's) . Plants slowly growing into the room, decoration slowly getting destroyed by nature.  

Im working with: 3Ds max, Unreal engine 4, Substance painter. (never worked with zbrush but maybe a good change to start with it :S ) 
Some reference:

I want to take story/performance in mind when making this scene. (game friendly) (modulair pieces, optimized meshes/shaders etc.) 

Greybox/block out

Replies

• Justin_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin_J vertex
    Worked on the foliage shader and lighting.
    The leaves on the wall are work in progress, not that happy with the tiling.
    I've used the fern and grass from another project I've done (different shader)

The fireplace is slowly getting more shape, that also counts for the cabinet in the corner of the room. 
    The table and chairs where made earlier but i need to retexture them. 
    The fire particles and wooden plank texture are from the UE4 starter content. I'll replace the wooden floor later for my own texture.

Basic master material for foliage.
  • Justin_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin_J vertex

Worked full time on this project today.
    - Placed my old textures for the chair, fireplace and table in the scene (need to change them later).
    - Placed some basic decals on the floor (will be replaced).
    - Did some foliage work today, still not happy with the foliage at the window part. 

It's running on 40 FPS now so first thing to do is clean up my scene and improve some performance ^^' 

Textured the wall, need to fix some roughness details in Substance but overall happy with the result. 
  • Justin_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin_J vertex

Really happy with how the cabinet turnt out.
    I'm now working on small props for in the cabinet and on the table, also working on papers and other decals for on the ground.
    (PS: It's running on 60 FPS again! :smiley: )
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Looks good so far! I look forward to seeing it progress. I have a few points of critique, though.

First is, it doesn't feel particularly medieval to me. Although to be fair, that's a very broad time period, stretching from 400AD-1400AD, so it's hard to know precisely what you're going for. To me, aspects of it feel more like the 1700s; notably the wooden panel walls and glass-fronted cabinets. Richer Furniture of the medieval period tended to be carved all-over to create interest, instead of having glass elements. Glass, after all, was expensive and weak. Googling "Medieval cabinet" produces many examples of what I mean.

Second, I feel like the scene feels a little flat right now because of the lack of specularity. Things feel quite rough at present. Finished wood can be fairly glossy, and the same applies to stone.

And also I personally don't like the purplish tone in the images at present, and think a warm (orange) or cool (blue, with the fire contrasting) tone will feel better.

Keep up the good work!
  • Justin_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin_J vertex
    @Joopson Thanks for the feedback!

The time period is indeed a bit of, medieval is maybe not the best therm to use for this piece, 1700 is indeed a better time period. 
    Good point about the specularity, I'll have a look into that. already thought the images looked a bit flat but didn't now exactly where it came from, I'll definitely try to add more specularity.
  • Justin_J
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    All that ivy hanging across the ceiling could use some position/rotation randomness, the spacing and scale are all very uniform, and stand out.

Also consider making a mipmap for your grass veg, so it doesnt get so chunky in the back of the renders furthest from the camera.

Your grunge/dirt/moss is kind of everywhere almost haphazardly, maybe consider putting it in places that make sense and kind of tells a story of the events that unfolded, really try and show how the objects have lived in that environment, and make the details uniform, like a ruleset across the objects. Is the humidity really high, and the weather constantly wet? Then you'll likely see more moss growth, but if not, then how did it get to be atop the cabinets?

Who lit the fire? Doesnt look like anyone is squatting in the building, is the fire just for illuminating the space? Maybe support it with a story too.
  • Justin_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin_J vertex
    @shabba The ivy could use some more variation, totaly agree with you there, also the rest of the foliage is in my opinion still a bit unnatural. I'll search for more reference and will work on that for the next update.

Also for the story part, good that you mention that, I'll post a story update soon since I already got one on paper but did not post it here yet.

Thanks for the great feedback, will work on it.