Home Marmoset

Marmoset3 subsurface vs Marmoset2 skin needs help

HapZungLam2
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7

Feels like there has some missing attribute.  Did they put it in somewhere else?
Even If I load in a marmoset2 file in marmoset 3.  the skin looks different

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skin shader was redone for Toolbag 3, the new shader is more physically accurate, has better colors, less artifacts and much better translucency now as well. We've simplified some of the controls, blurring is no longer separated into multiple passes in the shader - the final result of the lighting is blurred instead. Now, the scatter depth setting controls normal smoothing and shadow blur.

If you want blurrier shadows without raising the scatter depth setting, adjust the width setting on your direct lights to turn them into area lights. This will allow you to control shadow blurring in a more realistic fashion - in reality, light sources always have some sort of size to them (a width of 0 = infinitely small light source, which isn't really a thing). Adjusting the light width setting will give you nice soft shadows on non-skin surfaces too which is generally a bonus.

In short, the skin shader in Toolbag 3 is new and improved and you will probably need to adjust your settings to get the most out of it.
  • HapZungLam2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you for the reply EarthQuake.  Got it.  I'll play with it
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    skin shading indeed looks better now but if you have some edge case - like hair - where having blurry shadows on only that part is essential to the look but you don't want the SSS effect linked to it, then it's going to be ... interesting. i have some old assets that do no longer work well with TB3 and would require a different model/texture approach now.