Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Bostvic

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Bostvic polycounter lvl 5
So I'm pretty new to Zbrush and this is the first actual thing I've made with it. I did a bit with Blender's sculpting tools, but this is a whole different ball game.
My challenge this week is to turn this:
Into a 3d model.

I had quite a struggle with the hair, both in working out what is actually going on and then with Zbrush's fibermesh panel. I quite like the texture I have for the skin though, even though it's not quite the same as the concept. I know it still needs lots of work but C&C welcome!

Replies

• Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This week I'm trying to do a series of classic D&D monsters, starting with the Owlbear and the Gelatinous Cube. More as the week goes on.

This is the size I wanted them to be "readable" at. Not sure about the Owlbear's feathers.
    The rest of these are just closeups with the most relevant materials I could find in ZBrush's standard layout.

• Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another D&D Zbrush sculpt, this time a Kobold. I had a look at a few Zbrush videos on Clay Polish for this one, and think it really helped to neaten things up. Also trying to work on my pipeline to make sure less weird stuff shows up on my model. As always, view from a distance! xP
  • Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another sculpt! This time a Bulette from D&D. They're landsharks, which sounds TERRIFYING. I saw a couple of different concepts, so I went a bit looser with the concept on this one. Really loving that Clay Polish tool though...
  • Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having a go at real faces this week. First on the list, inspired by the good job done on Rogue One, is Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin. First real go at sculpting hair after the debacle that was the spider-lady's Fibermesh hair. Thought it sensible to start with short-hair and work my way up. Scarlett Johannson tomorrow!

• Bostvic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kept the black on the eyes because it adds to the creepiness factor! Still having a war with fibermesh so might go back to sculting hair by hand.
  • AnimatedStruggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey! I can tell you're getting more and more comfortable with ZBrush with each new piece you produce. The quality of your work is improving! :smiley: 
    The main thing that stands out to me about the spider lady is the proportions. Her arms are too short and her spider half should be even larger than it is now. I never even attempted with the fiber mesh system so I don't know the struggle that it is, but based off what you said, it's a battle! I can tell you're really getting the hang of it in the Scarlett Johannson sculpt.
    The idea of a hulking owl bear is freaking awesome! Keep going with your sculpts! I wanna see more!
    P.S
    The black eyes are friggin creepy! :D