Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

handpainted medieval village - shadow theatre

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
RainbowRat polycounter lvl 3
This is a project I´ve been working on in 3d class last semester. I finally wanted to practice handpainted textures on low poly models because I really adore their look (so many awesome projects here on Polycount) and wanted to be able to create interesting, seamless textures myself. I haven´t received any feedback from my professors and thus don´t know what went good and what bad.

Do you like the concept overall?
Do you have any tips on the lighting? To make it more atmospheric or interesting? ( I think I went pretty dark in some areas..)

I was pretty limited in time and decided to copy paste the same house and make several assets to break the repetitive look. Due to time limitation I also wasn´t able to model the critters that cast the shadows, so I tested something sneaky...

The big revelation

Simple alpha map with a black shilouette and a spotlight.

As for the edges of the roof, I guess I should have just copy pasted the tiles all over. But is there a poly-count-friendlier way? Since it was just a render in the end, does that even matter?

The last texture actually didn´t make it, the "fake 3d effect" didn´t work out.

All scenes took place at the same time which didn´t really add much to the render time, but I guess that should be avoided when working with AO, higher res models etc.?

I´m really curious to hear your opinions/critique since this is my fist scene and first real 3d project. I decided to go into a more character oriented direction though, but I really want to know my mistakes on this one and how I can avoid them!

higher res of the images http://www.rainbowrat.com/projects/6312086

Replies