Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Abandoned Bar : The Last Of Us - FanArt

triangle
Offline / Send Message
trepan92 triangle

Hello guys !
Here is my latest project, an environment inspired by the amazing game "The Last Of Us".

All props were :
- Modeled with 3dsmax
- Sculpted with Zbrush
- Textured with Quixel or Photoshop

All walls & floors textures were made using Substance Designer.

The project runs in realtime inside UE4, and the video was rendered in UE4 aswell.

FULL BREACKDOWN is coming soon ! smiley

Full project with Video presentation here : https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qPkqN

Replies

• fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    Great result! I like how you handled your color palette - the red materials mix especially well with the green of the vegetation.

Maybe my only criticism would be that some of the wood and brick textures are too noisy - some of them seem to have really strong normals all over, and it might be better to tone down your micro-details a bit so your large-scale details have more room to show.

How did you add the ivy to the scene? Vegetation is something that puzzles me and I can't find any good workflows for it.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @fhurtubise Thanks for the feedback mate ! I completly agree with you on the noisy/normalmap thing

For the ivy, i'm currently writing the full breackdown of the project + tips. I'll definitly add a vegetation breackdown in there, but I promise, it's quite simple ^^
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with @fhurtubise on the noise.

Remember, weathering and wearing/tearing doesn't always make things bumpy and noisy, sometimes it erodes details.  Flat wood mixed with pockets of noise would work great.

I think the same thing could be applied to a larger scale.  Not as much of an issue, but you don't have many places for the eye to rest besides on the ground.  The ceiling is a great example.  The wear and noise is great, and it may even be like that in that concept (haven't looked at it in a while) but the wear and tear could be more impactful if it was in a few acute areas with some space of minimal wear to balance it out.  Right now just about every tile is either rotated or has a big splotch in the middle of it.

Same goes for the vegetation on wall with the windows.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    @gsokol Thanks for the feed back !

By the way guys, I've just realeased the FULL BREAKDOWN of this project, so if you are interested, everything  is here :
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JnNVR

• trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    I had the opportunity to be interviewed by "80.lv" , I added some descriptions, breakdown images  and  a free vertex paint master shader  :)

Here  is the interview : https://80.lv/articles/last-of-us-capturing-the-spirit-and-the-look/

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Did you use a strong sharpen postprocess? I think that's more the source of what others are saying.
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
    Yea... :/
    I probably shouldn't have use it that much :(
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dam looks really awesome, I agree the noise looks a little bit too strong on some of the wood but looks like that might well be more of a postprocess thing. Really awesome work and congrats on the 90.lv article :smile:
  • trepan92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trepan92 triangle
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Really lovely execution...

I have some critiques though..

I feel your scene has a lot of conflicting factors in scales... parts of the scene make the environment feel at a good scale but quite a few other elements make it feel really small... some elements which actually leave you scratching your head as to what kind of scale the room is altogether...

My examples are as follows...

- There seem to be 3 door ways present in this scene (1. The Exit door way, 2. The door way next to it and 3. the what I also assume is a doorway outside where vegetation has grown over it) all three doors are of different sizes and leave you a little clueless as to what door way is actual human scale...
    - elements like the wooden planks on the door also look very chunky / big when you compare it to the door way next to it (this is giving the scene a bit of a miniature stylized feel in proportions)
    - Also, to add on the 3 door ways I'm still wondering what reason there are for this room to have 3 doorways in the same corner... It can be justified, I'm just asking because I'm curious because the angles right now don't specify that.
    - the height of those diner seats... they seem very stubby as they are right now, they look as if they would be at perhaps 25-30cm off the floor which is incorrect for actual architectural chair heights... however I could be wrong and they could be the right height but the elements that reside around it may be causing this confusion with scale e.g. the seat depth might be too long which makes the height look lower, etc. (However on the second screenshot they look correct. Chances are it's the door ways mainly causing your scene to look odd in scale)
    - the tires in the corners seem a little big... I'm thinking that if you were to stand those tires up against the seats you have it would reach somewhere up to the table or just a bit over it... most car tires don't reach that height, however if you had a specific tire you were working from and it's actually that big and thin then ignore this. However I can't find anything else in this scene that supports the reference of a vehicle that would be using a tire like that so it's worth implementing more if it was intentional.

Either way, I really like this... those things just really stood out to me. Keep it up (Y)