Home Technical Talk

3DS Max to Zbrush typology

Filip5
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, I am having hard time getting anything from max to zbrush to detail it further. The thing is, somehow zbrush keeps ignoring creased edges, even at value 1. So onto the next technique, adding loops, which works, but doesn't seems right... There must be some other way, because this is just weird

I am using 3DS Max 2015 and Zbrush 4R7

It creates so many useless faces and edges compared to mesh before it... Also, is it better ( if one have to use loops) to blockout my mesh at very beginning, then adding windows, doors etc. ? It creates some unwanted seems, which doesn't work very well with zbrush, and I cant even add loop to side of that tower now...

One more issue, how to solve this , as Max won't add loops around shapes made by knife... I added loops inside that shape, but even turbosmooth is unable to handle it

Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, found a quick solution for this. I just uncheck "subdivide smooth modifier" in zbrush upon import. Hovewer, I expected somewhat sharper brushes, at this LOD. So the last two questions are:

Why are my details, including cracks etc. so blurry ?
    And the second is, what is the standard number of polygons I should work with ? Almost  13 milion seems too high, but the quality is still not sharp. Should I turbosmooth my mesh before sending it to Zbrush ?

• olgakoupt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olgakoupt vertex
    Hey there. 
    1. When cutting it up in max make sure you are not creating Ngon City. I can see in your hole a giant N-gon-boy. you can check by going into "selection" in the ribbon and the rightmost set of options in the ribbon lets you select polygons with <4 sides (mo den 4). in poly face mode it'll light up your model anywhere you have them gons, make them n-gone and life gets better.
    2. For weird shapes use the inset tool to make your edge loops
    3. Z brush has a creasing option (i'm not that gud at z brush so pls keep that in mind) in deformation tab you can get "crease all" option, you can even use that z-topology tool in brushes to select the edges you want creased
    4. Z brush will subdivide your shit to death so if you have lots of geometry in one area and u take out "smt" the geometry just piles up in that area and doesn't get that spread going that's why you can have 13 million and still get that bullshit.
    5. dynamesh (in geometry) can be nice, Z remesher is a good one too, keep in mind tho...the sharp edges do get lost

Good Luck, you got this!
  • Filip5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Filip5 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, thanks for replying olgakoupt. In meantime, I found out that creasing the edges works - sort of. It is weird, but creasing once isn't enough. One has to apply turbosmooth, collapse it, then recheck edges,export... At least thats how youtube explained it. On the other hand, couple of other softwares can do the same as zbrush - in matter of creating details . Using substance painter works somewhat similiar, thus you don't need to creasegeometry for that. I will probably stick to that.