Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Lost Fortune - Graduation project

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
B.Scholma polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone,  

So in about two months i will be graduating and before i can do this i will need to make a final project, The project will be whatever I want and I came up with this idea of a broken down Pirate Mansion. I am heavily inspired by uncharted 4 and the last of us. I started out with some concept work for the walls and began working some stuff out. 

I began with some basic building blocks inside of maya and quickly threw them in Unreal Engine 4 to create my layout and position things to get the idea out of my head. (Please note that this is my first environment so there will be a lot of mistakes, if you guys have some tips i'm always open to new things !)

The main focus will be the entrance hall inside of the mansion. With games like Uncharted and The last of us in mind I started out with the concept phase.

After creating the concept i started out modeling in maya which turned out like this
My plan is to create a modular kit for all walls and their support so i can build more rooms when i progress into the mansion. 

For the unwrap i decided to go for 1 4K resolution texture so i put all walls inside the same UV Space. Like i said in the beginning, this is the first environment i'm ever doing so i'm trying to find the best way to tackle the many challenges. 

After that I got into substance painter and with a few custom made smart materials and a tiling texture i've made of a wallpaper in substance designer, i gave all walls a texture pass. 

So thats all i got at this point ! Now i want to ask all of you to throw as much feedback and critiques on this as you possibly can come up with ! I still have a lot to learn and i can't do it without the help of you all !

Thanks for reading and I will see you in the next update ! :)

- Bjorn 

Replies

• B.Scholma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So today i worked on my mockup for the level, because inside of unreal i only made a quick sketch to nail down the idea, today i started building up the mansion with my previously created building blocks. Some meshes are still a blockout because i have no mesh for them yet. Also some bigger pillars to support the scaffolding are missing at this point. Just wanted to know what you think about the layout and such :) 

This shot is taken from the entrance point of the level.

Perspective shot from above, The grey box in the middle is gonna be some sort of painting.
    A shot taken from the back of the room, the door is where you will enter the scene.

A shot from the top to show the layout, there are 2 unreal guys in there to keep messuring the scale of everything. 

With that i finish my day, hope you can give some good critiques on this so i can improve it where needed ! :) 

Good night,

- Bjorn
  • B.Scholma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So in the last couple of days i´ve been working on finalizing some of the assets in my scene, this week i want to finish up all the essential building blocks that shape my room and next week i will start texturing everything. To get my mind off the modeling and unwrapping for a bit i also started on some base material substances i will use later on inside my scene, one is Marble, and the other one is Dark oak wood. 
    When working on the final meshes for the pillars i also thought off making some arches in between the pillars to break up the emptyness a little bit. Overall i think it worked out pretty nice, the only meshes missing now are the staircase and the roof, after that its time to bring everything into unreal and build up the scene again from there. 
    The marble substance, it is changable to white and black via a switch node, this will come in handy for the tiling materials in my scene. 
    The dark oak wood is wood that i want to show on luxury items like the furniture and the panneling on the walls later on. For now it´s pretty basic but it will do the job. 

Hope you can give me some feedback on my new update to keep improving this piece ! :)

-Bjorn
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    very cool stuff man.  your breakdowns helping me quite a lot to be honest, as I struggle quite a bit with modular design, so thanks for that :]

one question, why not make a corner piece as part of your architecture kit?  on your latest screenshots, it looks like you're placing 2 flat pieces to form a corner, wouldn't that mess up with the tiling details?  also, if you make a corner piece, I guess you could round off the corner a bit so it's not a harsh 90 degree angle.

subscribed for more!
  • B.Scholma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Tzur_H
    Thank you ! I actually made a corner piece but i rendered it flat on my substance viewport, Later on i will show all modular pieces ;)

Good point on the 90 degree angle ! Didn't think about that yet, i'm gonna modify my corner piece a little to give it more of that rounded look  ! Thank you for the feedback ! :) 
  • B.Scholma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After some feedback from @Tzur_H about my corner piece i adjusted it some in the mesh, i rounded out the 90 degree angle to make it less hard and i also started on texturing some more modular pieces inside of substance painter. 

Now almost all assets are ready to be imported into unreal engine, where i will build up the scene like my blockout in maya. Before i start building i wanna make a pack overview of all assets created inside the editor so that will be coming up next ! 

C&C Are again appreciated :) 

-Bjorn