Home Career & Education

Why is it more difficult to get feedback in threads ?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
Has anyone else found this? I remember being a student over 10 years ago and could ask technical questions or my latest work in threads at places like polycount and would always get some kind of response within a day, often multiple responses. In the very few times I've posted this year, many times I get no answer at all.

I'm not complaining or moaning, just curious how this changed? 

I'm guessing it's something to do with there being more resources that are better at catering to our needs. Back in the day (!) I would just go from CGTalk to Polycount and that was it. You had to go and FIND cool art where as now it's lined up for you. So now, I think any spare time is spent looking at what has been 'lined up' for you. So people are less likely to go through troubleshooting style forums. Also, software companies have got better at creating communities and forums so in some cases it's better to ask questions there than on a forum like this?

I think it's something along those lines?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We have a lot more members now than we used to, and a lot more traffic.

We have subdivided into more subforums. This makes it easier for people to focus on what they're interested in, and slows down first-page churn. But it also means less eyeballs in any one section. It's a difficult balance.

I'd say be less impatient, give it a couple days. People should generally have low expectations for free tech support, replies are not guaranteed, we're all volunteers here.

Update your thread as you learn more about the problem. This will bump your thread into the Recent list, and within that subforum. It will also show people you are actively working on a solution yourself, instead of merely tossing it out there for others to work on. People dislike helping people who don't do their own research.

My apologies if you know all this already. Hopefully this will help others coming into this thread as well.
  • f1ey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey polycounter lvl 7
    1st. 10 years its huge time for IT
    and secong a lot of peaple just replace forums for more mobile technolgy like facebook slack etc. where you can get feadback instantly and not waiting for year, forums already outdated and now only survive strongest and popular and now its looks like intel vs amd, polycount vs cgtalk 
    and most important thing now you cant explain what wrong in few words 
    technology being massive indeed
    and before asking on forum you can ask google 

Romantic era is over
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    @capone you portfolio link goes to a domain not showing any work, might be a cute troll but pretty crap and probably a good way to get you ignored.  Just saying, in other words you got me, i suppose.

What Dustin Brown said, just a flood of info, I try to give a little but maybe in the WAYWO threads if the op asks or links the thread, dependent on the art, but like any of my c&c grain of salt and look it up just to be safe.

^ & What Fl'ey said groups, streams, [spoiler]it is a different world now a decade later, though with the newly found ability to "h4ck" your way through an audio stream into the pc brings up some issues, unless they fixed that work around, then if it is not that one then if you are rocking an i7 they can go in through that from what i hear *Sry to slightly derail, felt it was useful info, for the new agers.*[/spoiler]
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Part the the issue is questions here typically already have been answered a dozen times, or the answer is super situational and subjective. Also the app specific sub-forums get less traffic in general, I know I barely look at them. Probably because app specific questions often require more effort to answer. 

And like others have said, today we have much better documentation, thousands of hours of free educational material, better more instant communication for communities, etc. 
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I guess what is written here explains the tech side. Still it doesn't really answer why there is so little feedback on posted work, since google won't answer what parts need more attention, where your anatomy is wrong and so on. I would put it to the size of the community. It's too big and anonym to answer everyone and people just leave it to the next guy to write. In smaller groups you are more willing to sit down and put those 10-20mins in to do a paintover, write feedback and do this even a couple of days, especially since the groups also grows to gether and give something back. But with polycount the answers are sparse and we get the infamous feedback graph that will be proably posted again in this thread...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    @Biomag Yeah, smaller groups do work better. Ideally you want to grow a circle of artist friends that you can directly message (or even better group message), and ask for feedback. 
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Yep and luckly I found a great group for myself. Makes a huge difference to have something like that, especially when experienced people jump in and help out too.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    I just assume that no replies means that there is nothing glaringly wrong with my work, but at the same time, I'm clearly not kicking ass enough. But if it wasn't like this 10 years ago then maybe that's not an entirely accurate deduction, hmm. I wasn't on here that long ago sadly. I missed the heyday! :(
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    as far back as I remember people talked about the "comment valley" where anything that isn't super bad or super good gets barely any feedback. i don't think it's changed, maybe just more scaled now
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a shame because no matter what, you'll reach a point where it's harder to improve because of the lack of feedback, and then it becomes difficult to make that leap into being kickass. Perhaps there should be more incentives to leave feedback on threads? Not entirely sure what that could be though, hmm. Perhaps a feedback award? If that doesn't exist already. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if once someone gets to a certain skill level, others who aren't up to that point yet feel like they can't really provide meaningful feedback. There may be something that could be improved, but it's not so easy to articulate this unless you have enough experience.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It may also be a factor of how much feedback you give others. Golden rule and all that.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But is this graph correct any more? Because I have seen many good models that have no replies. They don't seem to require loads of fixes or anything like the zero comments on that chart suggests, maybe just a few here and there.   

I guess in answer to why it has changed? The overall standard for 3d modelling has skyrocketed compared to 10 years ago.  An average model now probably would have been cutscene quality 10 years ago, so there is a much much higher standard now than there used to be. So 10 years ago, an amazing model was much less than an amazing model now, which seems to be almost film quality. And THAT kind of level is hard to reach. As time goes on, new artists will have a harder and harder time to make a name for themselves I think. 

I'm just rambling here now! I suppose in summary, what I'm trying to say is that it's very very hard to impress people nowadays. We have been spoilt by all the amazing film-like game graphics, upping our expectations to crazy levels :P 

But it makes me happy that Polycount gives everyone a chance on the news page. You don't have to be film modelling level to be featured, and that is really nice. 
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Something that I would love and maybe I am using PC wrong, but I would love to have a filter threads feature so i could just see everything tagged or named environment art.  Sometimes I just go on an environment art hunt and sometimes decide to put some comments :)  This I think would help also since we have a lot of posts now.
    edit:// tested the search feature and while it did a good job would love for some kind of advanced search so I could narrow down stuff more.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We do have tagging, just put a # sign on a word like #environment but that would depend on people actually using it. Maybe it just needs to be promoted more, or maybe we can add a tagging field to the New Post editor.

Edit... looks like that does a search for "environment" too.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    We do have tagging, just put a # sign on a word like #environment but that would depend on people actually using it. Maybe it just needs to be promoted more, or maybe we can add a tagging field to the New Post editor.

Edit... looks like that does a search for "environment" too.
    That doesn't seem to work. I made an art post last week, and just tried adding #HardSurface to it. But when I click the hashtag to do a search, that very post is not listed in the results.
  • f1ey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey polycounter lvl 7
    this graphs tottaly true! -)
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    ....and the graph is back :wink:

But this critique/comment behavior just give you the feeling of making threads and post outside of the WAYWO pretty much pointless. At least for me. With those like buttons you get pretty much the same level of feedback from a post there compared to creating a own one once you start going into the valley and people stop pointing at your mistakes. Also the sheer amount of new threads drop you to the later pages in less than a day making it disapear.

The other thing is critique and comments need some level of trust between those involved. On the one hand the person writing it wants to know that it isn't wasted time and the person receiving it should trust that the other one knows what he/she is writing about. Hard to have it in a big community and you see that not depending on the skill level people that are posting here regularly get more feedback.
    All of this is natural and hardly to blame on anyone, but at the same time it doesn't help make polycount a great source for feedback once you are in the valley and actually this is the spot that is by far hardest to improve and needs the most guidance. This is where 'book knowledge' doesn't help anymore until you learn to overcome mistakes that you just don't see. I guess its just not polycounts role in the community to cover this.

We have here a a great source of technical and industry knowledge as well as a chance to promote ourselves, but I don't think it can cover this issue efficiently. At least not for the 3D modelling, not sure how much traffic the other forums are facing. I can only advice people to go out there and find small groups that give feedback. The couple of hours each week I and others invest for the one I am in get most people covered and hardly anyone goes a week without c&c (not talking about '+1's). But again people there get to know each other, know what others are looking for and adjust their comments accordingly.
  • f1ey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey polycounter lvl 7
    I tell you truth what difference between Nooby and Insperation Artist 
    First group just have a time and dont know what want to make and trying a lot of thing and may be want friend inside industry 
    Second Group still have a time between projects but real thing they just want share experence because best way to learn teach other 
    thats it -)
    there is alot of topics with game characters with very low skill and what comment when you seen it, learn anatomy when every book, gumroad tutorial did it, or google it and you get over9000 links go it and inside every link same and same things learn anatomy 
    rude but its true 
    and there is much new post no one have time for search 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Grimwolf could you please add this to the Bugs thread? We'll investigate there.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Time to beat on the proverbial dead horse !

(and of course, to @Eric Chadwick :  I know you're fully aware of that, since we discussed it a few times in the past and this even got some partial implementation in the form of the main forum page. Just wanted to add this topic to the discussion, as I do believe that it would improve access to all the other threads that are not pushed to the front page).

Now that said I actually believe there are a few more factors contributing to the current members' involvement with threads, I'll try to write it down later.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    @pior ; im very certain i would write in threads less if it was displayed like that. after all why bother to view the discussion if you already seen the artwork.
    to be a bit more empirical, consider artstation. that would be the next step in this direction.  and check how many comments they have on a post there.

people advocating easier access to the threads pictures in a discussion about low reply rate are like the NRA saying the solution to american school shootings are easier access to guns.

do you have any example of a thriving community, with a lot of posts and thought out critique, that has fast accessibilty to the pictures as a high priority? i can think of none.
    i think that forcing the discussion on the user, as soon as they see the pictures, are a good thing to encourage a high reply rate. the impression should not be "wow a pretty picture" instead it should be "oh they have a discussion here about this picture someone made, i have some opinions about it, maybe i chime in". so when you separate the discussion and the picture viewing you encourage the first one more.

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, as mentioned in the past my point is not to say "This is the answer". My point is more : "If we have a problem ... then let's try to understand it and let's try some stuff to fix it" - even if that means reverting back later if it fails.

I totally agree that the Artstation format relying on a giant wall of pictures is not at all appropriate to generate discussion. I never pay attention to it ... and truth be told I don't pay much attention to the main Polycount landing page either, because they are both filtered by popularity/quality and that doesn't interest me. I am more interested in finding quirky/surprising stuff in unexpected places - BUT not at the price of having to click random text links.

However I believe that Thread titles + Threads thumbnails combined could potentially be a very nice solution, since a maximum amount of information is conveyed and the thread author can also ask a direct question right off the bat.

For instance the thumbnail could show a preview of a sculpt, and the title could say : "Please help me with the anatomy execution on this character". This is better than a cryptic thumbnail drop, and better than just text with no context ! This is why some subreddits are becoming so active and successful while text-only forums are going the way of the dodo.

- - - - -

[Edit]  As a matter of fact, here's an example fresh from today. In tech talk there is currently a thread called "What's your style ?"
    http://polycount.com/discussion/181907/whats-your-style#latest

Well, I went ahead and clicked on it expecting a discussion on art style execution, and was greeted by a picture showing ... polygon topology on what seems to be some sort of handcuff shape, with the author asking for advice on ... triangulation styleThat's fine I guess, but definitely a mismatch. Had the picture showed up as thumbnail (+ title text), I would have known what I was about to get into as opposed to being puzzled hence deterred from engaging with the thread.

Now of course one could use that example to argue that thread thumbnails would reduce views, but what I mean is the opposite. Had I seen the thumbnail + text, and had the author done the effort to make the text and the thumbnail match, the whole experience would have been straightforward. I might not have clicked the thread, but that's better than being mislead by an unclear text title.

In short, in my opinion :
    - Text only = current default
    - Thumbnail only = less clarity than default, hence not good.
    - Text + thumbnail = enhanced clarity = increased viewing experience = more potential for viewer involvement.

But of course that's all conjecture.
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i get what you are saying, but i think "increased viewing experience" != more potential for viewer involvement. because, as i said, art station probably has the best VIEWING experience, and maybe the goal of polycount should be different.

maybe the most efficient way of viewing pictures encourages laziness? maybe it should be a little bit hard to view a image, so you already have invested some effort and might aswell write a comment?

i honestly dont know. i just feel, all these smart ways of trying to deliver information at us now days, like sorting stuff based on popularity and views, clearly doesnt work when its about art, since its subjective. you say yourself, you are interested in finding quirky stuff and to be suprised. maybe there is not much room for that with big shiny thumbnails?

but i have to say, im not against thumbnails per see. its just i havent seen it working properly anywhere yet.
    and i think that Text + thumbnail could work. but i think that maybe the interesting part would be to focus on the text.

how can it be made less random? how can it convey more information that you need? cuz a picture, especially a thumbnail, dont tell you that much. it doesnt tell you if this person is interested in critique, or want feedback to improve. maybe some sort of icon on the thread should be enabled by the poster to show twhat he/she wants? like "critique me!" or "i just want to show off :)".

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    pior said:
    Time to beat on the proverbial dead horse !

(and of course, to @Eric Chadwick :  I know you're fully aware of that, since we discussed it a few times in the past and this even got some partial implementation in the form of the main forum page. Just wanted to add this topic to the discussion, as I do believe that it would improve access to all the other threads that are not pushed to the front page).

Now that said I actually believe there are a few more factors contributing to the current members' involvement with threads, I'll try to write it down later.
    This will only fortify the current 'curve' and shy people away from clicking on obviously beginner stuff, but maybe the thumbnail size is small enough to be suggestive but hide actual quality, hard to tell.  But UI wise its clearly superior for sure. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But that's precisely the problem - people who just want to see "pretty stuff" have (and do go to) Artstation for that, and they can also go check out the Polycount landing page. The whole point of text+thumbnails in the actual forum is not to push the pretty stuff forward, but rather, to be completely transparent.

If someone comes with the intent to see pretty stuff while avoiding beginner stuff, I think it's best to give these viewers exactly what they want rather than forcing them to click at random. Random clicks will not make anyone comment more anyway, quite the opposite. After a few random and unsuccessful clicks (that is to say : not matching expectations, whatever they may be), that person will not come back. I am confident that this is why a lot of us rarely check pnp anymore. For instance I know I like to browse beginner/unfinished stuff because I find it very fresh. The current layout doesn't allow me to identify this target, and the top banners + the "good threads" previews on the main page only promote the polished stuff anyways. We end up creating precisely the situation we want to avoid.

We shouldn't value clicks per say (because, following that logic, we might as well call every thread "..." and clicks would certainly be evenly spread !). Instead I think we should make sure that the viewers get what they want, as immediately as possible - that is to say, not wasting their time.

This is why, in my opinion, the Polycount from the 2000s felt more active than today even with a member count an order of magnitude lower. It wasn't successful because it had this or that layout, or because it had this or that amount of sub sections. It was because 90% of the art belonged to a very specific category (handpainted custom player models, and the very beginning of the transition to baking) therefore every click was a win because of the very nature of the content. Now that it's not possible anymore, we need to adapt and try things out.

I hope this makes sense !
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    pior said:
    Random clicks will not make anyone comment more anyway, quite the opposite. After a few random and unsuccessful clicks (that is to say : not matching expectations, whatever they may be), that person will not come back. I am confident that this is why a lot of us rarely check pnp anymore.
    That's how it is for me. I got burned out on having to click through almost literally everything and load up a new page just to find out if I actually had any interest in the work being shown.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's certainly worth a shot. I'll see if it's possible in CSS alone, since we already have the zoom mouse-overs.

This is a really busy week for me, and I have other polycount tasks already waiting. So it may take a bit to get to it.

Keep bringing it up though, I'm not going to get sensitive about suggestions or anything. They're all meant for making things better!
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    The whole point of text+thumbnails in the actual forum is not to push the pretty stuff forward, but rather, to be completely transparent.
    i think that a thumbnail can be misleading in many number of ways, so i dont think it will make things more transparent.

pior said:
    If someone comes with the intent to see pretty stuff while avoiding beginner stuff, I think it's best to give these viewers exactly what they want rather than forcing them to click at random.
    pior said:
    Instead I think that we should make sure that the viewers get what they want, as immediately as possible - that is to say, not wasting their time.
    i think this attitude will benefit and encourage lazy forum usage. i cant see why this isnt exactly how artstation works. minimum effort required, maximum pretty stuff to see.

i agree with @Shrike . there has to be a balance, with showing but not giving it all away.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it's a good idea for the people who want to crit. If people come here just for pretty stuff, well... you can't control human nature sadly! If they come for pretty stuff, they aren't going to comment/crit the not-so-pretty stuff whether they stumble upon it or not. So the thumb will make it easier for the people who want to crit in the first place I think. Worth a try anyway! :) 
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Aren't WAYWO posts + link to the thread + discprition even more clear than thumbnails? Are they having an effect on number of responses?

These are honest questions, not remarks, since I haven't spent a lot of time in the 3D forum lately to observe how this might be developing since the WAYWO has stricter rules on 1 picture per post.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    pior said:
    But that's precisely the problem - people who just want to see "pretty stuff" have (and do go to) Artstation for that, and they can also go check out the Polycount landing page. The whole point of text+thumbnails in the actual forum is not to push the pretty stuff forward, but rather, to be completely transparent.

If someone comes with the intent to see pretty stuff while avoiding beginner stuff, I think it's best to give these viewers exactly what they want rather than forcing them to click at random. Random clicks will not make anyone comment more anyway, quite the opposite. After a few random and unsuccessful clicks (that is to say : not matching expectations, whatever they may be), that person will not come back. I am confident that this is why a lot of us rarely check pnp anymore. For instance I know I like to browse beginner/unfinished stuff because I find it very fresh. The current layout doesn't allow me to identify this target, and the top banners + the "good threads" previews on the main page only promote the polished stuff anyways. We end up creating precisely the situation we want to avoid.

We shouldn't value clicks per say (because, following that logic, we might as well call every thread "..." and clicks would certainly be evenly spread !). Instead I think we should make sure that the viewers get what they want, as immediately as possible - that is to say, not wasting their time.

This is why, in my opinion, the Polycount from the 2000s felt more active than today even with a member count an order of magnitude lower. It wasn't successful because it had this or that layout, or because it had this or that amount of sub sections. It was because 90% of the art belonged to a very specific category (handpainted custom player models, and the very beginning of the transition to baking) therefore every click was a win because of the very nature of the content. Now that it's not possible anymore, we need to adapt and try things out.

I hope this makes sense !
    Its hard to predict what will happen but it makes sense what you say, im sure you thought more about it than I did. This kind of depends on the percentage of people being here to use it as a forum or just look at pretty stuff still, but its worth a shot. If we should not actively notice any difference, then nothing changed for the worse either way and the thumbnails make everything easier to use, so its most likely worth a try.  

On another dead horse, what deters me from being more active after the forum remake is the constant inbox spam if you post a single time in a high activity thread like waywo. Thanks to 2017 and the closing of the 2016 waywo I am unshackled, but I will now never ever post in such a thread again, which really shouldnt be. Getting on polycount and seeing 100 thread messages feels like a chore. This needs to be fixed. 
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike said:
    but I will now never ever post in such a thread again, which really shouldnt be. Getting on polycount and seeing 100 thread messages feels like a chore. This needs to be fixed. 

Vanilla refuses to fix this. This along with a few other biggies like their refusal to implement the Marmoset viewer, led us towards cutting loose, moving to self-hosting and control of the backend. 

This is a major step, and will take a major amount of time and effort. We're dedicated to starting it, but each of us behind the scenes has fulltime jobs and/or responsibilities. Aging parents that need care. Etc.

We'll get there. It'll just take time.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't follow the argument that thumbnails will lead to a lack or reduction in feedback.

For me personally, I've pretty much stopped browsing the 2D/3D/Anim showcase forums outside of the WAYWO thread. The reason for this is simple, there is such a huge mass of threads, that randomly clicking through to find something that interests me is not something I have time for.

I think the main goal should be increasing visibility and brows-ability, thumbnails or any sort of visual aid will help this. If more people are opening the threads, more feedback will naturally follow. I'm not going to post feedback or comments on something I don't see.

Will the best work get the most views and comments? Sure, of course, but that's not new nor is it a problem. I don't agree with any idea that seeks to equalize this by intentionally making the browsing experience more obtuse - all that will lead to is less views and interaction for all threads.
  • Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I agree with EarthQuake and Pior. I would probably be more inclined to crit and comment if I could more easily find thread whose content I either could actually be helpful in or generally interests me. While I enjoy to see weapons and environments I am here primarily for characters so if I could more easily see what threads are relevant to that it would increase my viewing experience.