Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need critique, please!

ColorMusic
vertex
Offline / Send Message
ColorMusic vertex
Hi!
I'd love to hear your opinion on this piece.

I feel that the colours are a bit muddy, especially in the shadows. How can I correct it? Or maybe there are other issues?

Replies

• Wolthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Wolthera polycounter lvl 5
    I think the colors by themselves are fine. You might be able to make them less dark by adding a bit of indirect lighting here and there in the shadows. What I do feel might be necessary is to have those green leaves on the left be a bit brighter, or at the least be a little more defined than the background so that the whole background doesn't feel quite as flat.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Did a quick paintover to give you some ideas.  I agree with Wolthera's critique that the leaves to the left flatten out with the background, resulting in what I think is my biggest issue with this piece - it feels like it's missing some layers.  It basically has the bird/branch, and then the background, with not much inbetween. 

I also think the bird could do with a bit more work to make it pop - I strayed from this in my paintover, because I didn't know if the bird was intended to look a bit cartoony or not:

Don't be afraid to give things some sharpness & definition - even some of the specks in the light, for example.
  • ColorMusic
    Offline / Send Message
    ColorMusic vertex
    Yes, I see what you mean. I was just afraid that the leaves would take all the focus away from the bird, but I guess it looks fine. Wolthera, Two Listen, thanks a lot!
    And happy New Year!