Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim_Nosbisch vertex
    Awesome work man! Great attention to detail
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Simply gorgeous work. Amazing execution, and it's awesome to see that you're learning a lot on the way to completion!
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Im honoured to be one of the featured posts in the top banner and to be interviewed by 80.lv (link:)

Ive now added snow to the exterior and Im somewhat happy with it. I found it difficult to make the snow look the way I wanted and I tried to make it look like its being blown by wind, so no fluffy snow since it would be blown off.
    I have a few questions below if Id be interested to hear any suggestions.
    Heat radiating out from the engine melts the snow on top of the engine deck.

Not sure what to do with the front of the roof. It looked weird with snow all the way forward but Im not happy with the way it is now either.

Soot from the exhaust and lots of snow that has been blown up from the tracks. Im most likely add more to the hydraulics in the middle. Is it too much or does it look weird?

(Image above) Is there any way to make the snow edges mesh better with the plow? The snow is a separate mesh as shown below.
    Do I need to adjust the vertex normals for the edge vertices or can I do something inside unreal engine?

Ive added these images and some more to this imgur album.
    Does the snow effect work or should I change it? Im curious to hear what you think.
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I've redone the snow, I had trouble getting it to look right when it "faded out" along the edges. I tried to fade the edges using DepthFade but then id have to have the snow material be transparent and that caused a lot of other problems.
    The new snow has more deliberate sharp edges which looks more believable. I also added some blue subsurface colour to make it feel a bit icy.
    I've not yet painted in the new edges on the tiling texture so itll look a bit better in the end.

I played around a bit with LightPropagationVolume and I think it looks pretty good right now but Id be interested to hear any feedback on it.
    Any and all feedback on the snow or other part of the vehicle is also appreciated :smile: 
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Ive tweaked the snow and tiling textures to make it a bit more realistic (I hope).

You can just barely make out the normal grunge I've added to the sides of the vehicle, its just meant to break up the otherwise very flat surface.

I'm not sure how to do the snow on the front of the trailer, picture above. It looks a bit off at the moment but I'm having a hard time improving it. I might just go back and remove most of it.

I changed my approach to the scratches on the flatbed, I've made it more subtle but I might have to add back some of the rust.
    The new normal map I've added is most visible here on the trailer

Im now done with the tiling textures, I might do some tweaking but now I'll work on the detail textures.
    Feedback is always welcome :smile:
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Hello again, I've worked on roughing up the vehicle with more dirt and general wear. I'm pretty happy with how it looks at the moment :smile:

I might remove the icicles here as they look weird, I've tried a few things but I cant get them to look the way I want.

I feel like the engine deck (above) is lacking something but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do with it. Any ideas for what I could do here?

Two tasks left, fixing the treads and the flatbed on the trailer, looking forward to being done with this project.
    Feedback is as usual very welcome :smile:
  • CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Back again with some more progress :smile:
    Here is a link to an Imgur gallery with a bunch of new images: Imgur Link

Ill upload a few directly to this post but there are more images in the imgur gallery

I'm now done with the texturing of the exterior and the last thing I'll do is look through the lighting academy videos on YT to try and improve the scene lighting.

If you have any feedback or ideas for things i can fix or improve please leave a comment :smile:

• CybranM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    I made a new post for this project. New updates will be posted to the linked post and not this one