Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cobweb-WIP Feedback please.

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
pmiller001 greentooth
Hey guys I'm making a model based off of Vivane Kosty's art

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mEmga

Blockout

Spent just, an awful amount of time blocking out the head. Might have left the body out too much. So i'll have to attack that tommorow. 

[current]''

Replies

• pmiller001
  • pmiller001
  • pmiller001
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Anything in particular sticking out on this model? Is it close to the concept art? 
  • pmiller001
  • pmiller001
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth

Thoughts?
    I prefere the shiny one, but I think its too shiny in the neck, so I'd have to fix that. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth

Been working on trying to do hair for a while now. I think It's missing detail. I think I've been looking at it for too long. I'll start on the fabric tomorrow. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    First pass at materials, I"m having trouble with a few things, specifically why theres those artifacts above the hair. They werent there before, not sure whats happening now . Maybe the alpha? 
    There are some normal map errors too that i'm only noticing now. It seems like things become much clearer when I post them here haha

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth

Hey gang, Did a little bit to the hair based on some threads I read. I"ll link them in another post.  I'm messing around with some presentation here to really make it pop. I still have that stupid error on the top of the hair, and I'm still having trouble figuring that out, If anyone can offer any kind of assistance that'd be really appreciated. 
    Also, Made a little gif that y'all might find pretty cool. 
    OH, and the background is not mine! I googled CyberPunk city street, and grabbed the first thing I saw. IF this isnt cool, please let me know.

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    So I went ahead and got some critique on this one. I'm going to go back to the high poly and adjust it accordingly because I really want this to be good, and I dont want to do Viviane Kosty's art any injustice by representing in a way that isnt my best. So as much as I wanted a Low res model done for GDC I think I'm only going to be able to get the hi res version done. 
    Here's the critiques that I got, Hopefully they can help someone else as theyve helped me. I wont be able to work on this until next week, but I want to put this reminder here for myself and others. 

-----"There's a lot of problems here. I think the core of it is, you went high poly and costume wayyy too early. The anatomy is all over the place here. I'd reduce this back down to a lower poly, retopo'd mesh and keep sculpting for a while til its more solidified. Just a few of the things I see: The neck is too thin and long. You dont have any trap muscles built. The dip between the abdomenal muscles is way too much of a canyon. The boobs look too low. The deltoid is bulging too much. The calf muscles are too long. The hands need a lot of definition and love. The face is pretty jacked right now. The lips need a lot of refining. The planes of the face need work, and a lot of the landmarks need to be seen. The nose is too thin. Honestly, the hair should be the least of your worries at this point. Even though you are covering up a lot of the character with matte black costuming, the base really has to be solid underneath. Build a board of reference, or better yet I highly suggest buying Eliot Goldfinger's Human Anatomy for Artists book."critjpg
    -----------------------------------------------

Hey man,

So here are things you need to double check:
    1. Ulna and Humerus is supposed to somewhat equal in length. Due to extremely long humerus, the deltoid appears to be very small and short.
    2. Left arm is definitely need to be fixed since it bends abnormally. When you pose your character, you have to re-sculpt certain features since they will be distorted during posing process.
    3. Even though you decided to go for fantasy ears there, but it still needs to have some sort of realism so people can relate to. The helix is very thin. If you watch Lord of the Ring, Elven ears are close to human ears.
    4. The glossiness at the neck creates a unwanted seam there.
    5. I also have a feeling that the armpits are high as well
    Bottom of the body looks good to me

3jpg

--------------------------------------------------

OKAY so crit time!  The shape of the stomach and collar bone area need to be worked on.  The face needs some more feminine touches to read like the concept, if that's the true direction you're wanting to go
    she's got some sex appeal in the concept, full lips, eyes half lidded  
    contrasting with the hair and the outfit
    your details are reading as all similar sizes, especially on the legs.  look at the holes and details on the legs in the concept, and look at the holes and stuff on your execution
    the calves aren't the correct shape on the sides and is making her look “bubbly"

Hope everyone finds these as insightful as I did. 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    So following the critique i got, I went back down tot he lo poly on the head to attack the problems mentioned on the head. 
    I made the lips bigger
    Made the eyes more hooded. 
    Thickened the nose. 
    and brought out the land marks of the head more. 

I think the bottom half of her face is coming out too much, but Maybe thats just me. Any thoughts on this? 

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Got some more critique on this. 
    -"I think the problem here is you trying to capture a concept painting without solid foundation of anatomy. Remember that bringing a concept drawing into a 3D model taking lots of practice to make it works. Even so, most artists I know still using real human face as reference to guide them through the process of anatomy. So I suggest you should slow down. Break open the anatomy blocked gate first before you can move on to do something like this."
    From one of the previous people who critted. 

SO I went ahead and gathered reference and sculpted to that. 

• pmiller001
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great, you're doing some good in-depth examination from good reference. One thing that would help right away is to put your work right next to the concept, and do this often. Use the same pose, even. And compare. 

Concept has a smaller more feminine face, larger eyes. Shoulder line is very different., sloped in concept vs. squared in yours. Ears in concept are peaked differently.

Hairstyle reminds me a little bit of Cheryl Ladd in Millennium (terrible movie!) Might give you some reference though. https://yooniqimages.blob.core.windows.net/yooniqimages-data-storage-resizedimagefilerepository/List/10231/684b23b7-d01b-46af-8db4-c5bf4d96e848/YooniqImages_102317591.jpg

Also try "up do mohawk"
    https://www.google.com/search?q=up+do+mohawk&tbm=isch
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Thanks a bunch eric. I didnt think to put my model next to the reference sheet, something that seems incredibly obvious to me now.
    For the face I was thinking that once i get the head to a place that's good. I could push and pull it to match the likeness of a celebrity or model that matches the concept pretty closely. 
    Thank you for the reference on the hair, I was thinking, that i'd approach it the same way Slosh did on their wonderwoman model or How Tits did on their shiva model. 
    Thanks for the critique on the body too. I'm starting from the start on the body, and i'm going to approach it the same way I did with the head, 
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I dont have any updates, but heres some critique i got that I found (am finding useful). Thanks to those who are taking the time to helpme get better 

@BagelHero
    she has larger shoulders in the concept. they're much broader, and eric already mentioned they're a different line. on your model they look very compressed to the torso.
    Everything else thats already been mentioned is tops too.
    reel way back; and show more of your process when you get back to the LP because it doesn't look good and personally I'd like to get more of a chance to intervene haha
    Like it feels like a textural or technical issue, more than one of control/likeness like it is with the sculpt, so I'm being a bit more blunt with that second part

@skodone
    oh i see u already got nice critique and work on things! good! face is getting better but now also much more masculine... be very careful with those subtle differences between sexes
    also gather tons of reference of how you wish her face to be, cus it will be very hard to get that look from the conceptart whis is basically a smudged loose expression from one angle and doesnt help u anything
    better check out a celeb or similar with a face you think could be hers and then gather angles and references to sculpt, since the face of the concept is so loose you have some freedom here, makeup and tattoo will do the rest for likeness with the concept

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    So I went in and resculpted the marked up parts on the image shown. (the marked up image is the old one). 
    I'm not exactly understanding this comment
    "You still have the zygomatic, eye bags, and nasal labial folds merge together. Thats why the face look incorrect. Watch the map I draw above, and bring them out"
    I went and googled what those parts of the head were and worked on them accordingly. I like the change they brought about, but I"m not sure if thats what I was supposed to do. Could someone please assist?

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I'm thinking I can move on to detailing tonight. if there aren't any glaring issues y'all see . I'd like to continue less I end up over working thus thing into oblivion
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Some more feedback

@praetus
    The part where the nose/nostril connect to the face seems somewhat indented
    It might be the material accenting it but it feels like the nostril cuts into the cheek and then balloons out around it

@francois
    ou might wanna look at some ear reference
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hi!
    I wanted to write before but I didn't have the time until now.
    I wouldn't start on the detailing just know, you definitly still have issues with the face. 
    A lot comes down to the planes of the face once again, you can definitly see some are wrong because of the way the light reacts to them. You can also see you moved up in your subdivision too quickly which made the surface woobly and uneven at places.
    I would try and correct those at the lowest subdivisions possible.
    The ear does look odd and misplaced.
    You do have indentation next to the nose, very bold traits (female tends to have softer traits)
    The eyes socket/eyelid is wrong, I understand you wanted to make the lower eyelid visible but the crease really doesn't work.
    Same for the top eyelid. The crease is there because the eyelid envelop the eyes, you added a crease but the eyelid doesn't look like its envelopping the eyes at all.
    Anyway I'M not super great at paintover, I just tried to highlight were you went wrong with the face planes.
    I believe this might help you better understand and see those mistakes for yourself.

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Thank you very much for the Paintover @Tits , and taking the time to write out that response as well.
    I'm just now getting over a fever, so I'm back to correcting this thing again. 

I tried to attack it by addressing the notes you made
    -for the planes of the face, I went back down to my lowest sub division to hit those right. 
    -I addressed the ear as per your corrections. One critique I got was it looked too "placed on" i'm not sure if you share that opinion. 
    - I didnt notice the indentation on the nose before, but before i read your comment I think someone else mentioned it again. Thanks for bringing it up. I softened the area around there. 
    - With your paint over, I think I understood what you were saying about the eyelid not enveloping the eyeball at all, but I'm still having trouble with it. 

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    I brought the model up one sub division level and sculpted further, based on the last critique. I got these different results. 

• Svyat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Svyat polycounter lvl 5
    You can also get a program called pure ref, look for face references on pinterest and dump them in there. This program is really cool and helps a ton when sculpting
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    Thanks a bunch svyat. sorry for the late response. 
    PS this thread isnt super dead i'm just taking a break to improve my skills before i tackle this again. 
    Have you heard of Kuadro? thats what i use for my reference