Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzard Student Art Contest Character Hand painted

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lucak polycounter lvl 5

Hi polycount! 

Its been a while, and I'm back with much better skills than before (I hope)

As you can see from the title this is a character supposedly for the Blizzard Art contest, but it is in fact a fake, because I am not allowed to participate.
I am 19 years old, and still in highschool, but I'm not studying art or anything related and I wont be going to college, I'm from Portugal so I would never be able to afford going to college abroad.

The reason I'm doing this is because I'm a fan of hand painted textures, and I would like to be competing with the others who are participating in the contest (though I haven't yet seen any this year o_O)

Please give me all the feedback you can!!
**Edit** Final presentation:

model

Here is the wip, already close to finish.

The concept, ignore the stick

Replies

• lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    Here is the sculpt, but you can see I didn't follow strictly from it.

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Love it! What's going on with the dirt on his ankles though? There's nothing on the shoes..

Applying for a contest you can't win doesn't have to be all bad. The worst thing that can happen is that you're told you're disqualified. They won't ban you for it (right? :/). And who knows, if someone at Blizzard likes it, you might get some recognition for it. Or they might start keeping an eye on you for the future.

You definitely don't need collage to work with a games company. You just have to make pretty art! 

The [fake] tag made me think it was a Mod that had come in and called you out for stealing this. I'd say skip any negative language like that in the future! ;)

Keep it up young one! 
  • lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    Love it! What's going on with the dirt on his ankles though? There's nothing on the shoes..

Applying for a contest you can't win doesn't have to be all bad. The worst thing that can happen is that you're told you're disqualified. They won't ban you for it (right? :/). And who knows, if someone at Blizzard likes it, you might get some recognition for it. Or they might start keeping an eye on you for the future.

You definitely don't need collage to work with a games company. You just have to make pretty art! 

The [fake] tag made me think it was a Mod that had come in and called you out for stealing this. I'd say skip any negative language like that in the future! ;)

Keep it up young one! 
    Thanks a lot!

The "dirt" on the legs is supposed to be algae, as he is a fisherman disguised as a pirate, and to exagerate the fact that he spends all the time in the sea with a poor fisherman's life I wanted to make him dirty with greens, but I completelly forgot to make the shoes dirty too! and I will try to make it more green too :wink:

About the contest I think I'm not allowed to send it though :s I have to fill a lot of information, and include the college I am in etc, though there is no * required on those fields, maybe I will try it, and also I had no idea how to show in the tittle this wasn't a legit entry, I guess I shouldn't have used the word fake though.
    Again thanks for taking the time to comment! 
  • Enalya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, your skills surprise me! You're quite young and not even studying, but you seem to be able to complete a full 3D char with pretty good handpainted textures already :) Some feedback:

- The arms seem to bend a bit weird, especially how the bicep ends in the lower arm (I know the anatomy is stylized, but it should still be correct).
    - The inner ear looks lazy/messy, could be defined better.
    - You could  use more highlights and more saturated colors I think :)

Good luck!
  • lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    Enalya said:
    Man, your skills surprise me! You're quite young and not even studying, but you seem to be able to complete a full 3D char with pretty good handpainted textures already :) Some feedback:

- The arms seem to bend a bit weird, especially how the bicep ends in the lower arm (I know the anatomy is stylized, but it should still be correct).
    - The inner ear looks lazy/messy, could be defined better.
    - You could  use more highlights and more saturated colors I think :)

Good luck!
    Thanks a lot for the kind words :) 

About the arms, I think they are weird too :s I will look at some reference to figure out whats the best way to fix them, I will work a bit more on the ears, and I will also make the legs darker and try to adjust the colors so that I can make the head more important than the rest of the body. 
  • lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    Here is another update on the texture, I still haven't fixed the arms being weird. this time its almost final.
    I cleaned up the hat, a bit of the face and ears, added more shadow in the arms, color variations on the skin, and darkened the legs / added hair

• jeebs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    amazing progress!!
  • lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good so far, I would try to make sure that the focus is the face.  Giving more light an contrast to the face should help especially when the shirt is so bright.  
  • lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    @artofmars

Thanks! I will try to make the shirt darker but if I make the face brighter it will go a bit off from the skin tone that is dark in general.
    I will see what I can do. 
  • lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    So  I spent a while (ahem 5 hours) messing up with a rig and trying to pose this guy, and this is what I ended up with, I wanted to give him a kind of "weak" pose, like something funny that a weak guy would do, but now it kinda looks like a dancer :V.

what do you think?

• lucak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucak polycounter lvl 5
    I started working on an illustration for him, trying to go similar to hearthstone cards.

• HughTrieu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughTrieu null
    Awesome work man! lovin the hand painted textures