Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Looking for a 3d character artist mentor

White_wizard
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
White_wizard polycounter lvl 2
Looking for a 3d character artist mentor for one on one critiques of my work, any character artist interested ? or can anyone point me to someone they know who offer this?
Thanks 

Replies

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    https://www.gameartinstitute.com/

Not really a mentorship, but the guys behind this are pushing the students to build a community beyond the classes. Never before in my life I've gotten as much valuable feedback as through the last few weeks since I started a course there. Skutt is great as a teacher, but also the students are supporting each other with feedback, paintovers and technical help. As it is a small community people really take care of providing help and critique for each post, not skipping it relying on someone else to pick it up. Also the level of most students is rather high.

• ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Also...you're already here. Polycount man. Post your work. Get feedback. Listen to it. Do more work. Rinse, repeat.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    you know, i can never get those game art institute folks to respond. I've just been using polycount. 
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Also...you're already here. Polycount man. Post your work. Get feedback. Listen to it. Do more work. Rinse, repeat.
    A mentor-ship isn't as crazy as it sounds. You probably would save quite a bit of time with someone who already knows the way.
    Cheerio
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    kanga said:
    A mentor-ship isn't as crazy as it sounds. You probably would save quite a bit of time with someone who already knows the way.
    Cheerio
    Whos time tho?
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Neox said:
    Whos time tho?
    The student's time.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    kanga said:
    Neox said:
    Whos time tho?
    The student's time.
    exactly my point.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Well, giving back to the profession you love can be a rewarding experience. Ive done it a few times and found it to be worthwhile. 
    Cheerio
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    I do not doubt this, and i do it on a daily basis, you could call it my job.

The thing is, having a hivemind such as polycount at your disposal worth a ton  more than just one single individual.
    Kids these days man... too lazy to move them selves, wanting everything catered to them and for free. I might be getting old...

A Mentor is a cool thing, are you willing to pay for one? Otherwise it is an entirely one sided relationship. And not for the one person doing you the biggest favor in the world, teaching you.

What many might not realize is, that most of us learned most of what we could teach here, on Polycount. Pushing us all together, thats why Polycount grew so well. And this is the place where the people give back.
    But now every other week a thread pops up, asking others to cater to them. While in many many cases a simple google search would result in the right answer.
    You have a gigantic ressource at your hands, an amount of free, or cheap info. Something we dreamed of when we started out many years ago. 

Use it.

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Neox said:
    I do not doubt this, and i do it on a daily basis, you could call it my job.

The thing is, having a hivemind such as polycount at your disposal worth a ton  more than just one single individual.
    Kids these days man... too lazy to move them selves, wanting everything catered to them and for free. I might be getting old...

A Mentor is a cool thing, are you willing to pay for one? Otherwise it is an entirely one sided relationship. And not for the one person doing you the biggest favor in the world, teaching you.

What many might not realize is, that most of us learned most of what we could teach here, on Polycount. Pushing us all together, thats why Polycount grew so well. And this is the place where the people give back.
    But now every other week a thread pops up, asking others to cater to them. While in many many cases a simple google search would result in the right answer.
    You have a gigantic ressource at your hands, an amount of free, or cheap info. Something we dreamed of when we started out many years ago. 

Use it.

I cant help but agree with you. With the added advice that it doesn't hurt to ask.
    No promises, but you might have better luck finding a mentor if, in your OP, you post a link to your portfolio, some images showcasing your current skill level, and some succinct information on how long you've been honing your skills and what measures you've already taken on your own. Professionals with limited free time tend to be more generous with their time and energy for those who show signs that they're already working hard to help themselves, and have simply hit a plateau or need guidance in specific areas. If you're just flailing about and don't have much to show for it, people will generally be less likely to want to help you, because that's often an indication of laziness and/or a lack of critical thinking skills, which no mentor can help you with.
    QFA.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    This is all my fault...
  • QOR_082
    Offline / Send Message
    QOR_082 polycounter lvl 3
    Looking for a 3d character artist mentor for one on one critiques of my work, any character artist interested ? or can anyone point me to someone they know who offer this?
    Thanks 
    I've got a 3d community in discord.

https://discord.gg/MQUpUBP

Join us and we will help u.