Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Baking normal/bump maps issue

OneMoreShepard
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
OneMoreShepard polycounter lvl 4
So I want to bake a roof tile on my low poly mesh. But I'm getting some weird results, most likely that I'm missing some key setting or smth, since I very rarelly use maya baking and more often using SP2 automatic backing.

Here is what I'm getting:

This is high poly model, combined into single mesh. Lowpoly looks just like the base of the roof, just square with default UV layout.

More simple forms are baking as intended or close to:

Here are the setting and the best result I got so far

Replies

• OneMoreShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    I'm a little confused here.  It looks like you're trying to bake that sloped segment of roof shingle to a cube primitive that isn't anywhere near it.

Your low poly needs to be in the same general shape as the high poly, and they need to occupy the same physical space.  Your low poly also needs proper UVs and hard/soft edge configuration for the details to transfer correctly.
  • OneMoreShepard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon said:
    I'm a little confused here.  It looks like you're trying to bake that sloped segment of roof shingle to a cube primitive that isn't anywhere near it.

Your low poly needs to be in the same general shape as the high poly, and they need to occupy the same physical space.  Your low poly also needs proper UVs and hard/soft edge configuration for the details to transfer correctly.
    This is the shape of low poly mesh. 

High poly is the same + subdiv (supporting loops keep the shape) and roof tiles. My intention is to bake tiles as floating geometry. I'm not sure how to make them occupy the same space, they would not be visible then? 
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Alright, I see.  The cube was throwing me off.

Baking works by having the high and the low in the exact same position in 3D space.  If the high poly is not overlapping the low poly, there will be no information to capture accurately when the baker goes to shoot rays from its cage.

https://youtu.be/wZ-Z3kA-f9s?t=272

Hope this helps