Home Technical Talk

Zbrush HD Geometry Transfer

Chubbydan
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Chubbydan polycounter lvl 13
Hi,

I have a model 1.8million polys with 3 x HD divisions taking it up to 120million. Lots of lovely sculpted details involved and there is now a requirement to alter the base level mesh. If I GoZ and change the base, I lose all the HD divisions. Looking for a method in which I can bake/transfer all the sculpted details onto a similar but ultimately different base mesh?

Cheers,

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Break up the sculpt into decimated parts using the techniques shown in this video:

https://vimeo.com/9673644

Depending on how much RAM your computer has you might not have to do more than two polygroups of this. 64-bit Zbrush can handle up to 100 million polygons in a normal sculpt if your computer has enough RAM (although it's a very good idea to save often and incrementally during this process.)

Subdivide your new base mesh to 800k or so and ProjectAll of the details from the decimated old sculpt. Then use HD Geometry and the ZProject brush to bring the details from your old mesh onto the new mesh, being sure to stay away from HD Geometry seams while using the ZProject brush.

It takes some time but once you've gone through the process once it should be easy peasy lemon squeezy.
  • Chubbydan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chubbydan polycounter lvl 13
    Cheers Jed! I'll let you know how I get on