Home Technical Talk

Should I always normalize the whole UV map?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
I have done the UVs for each part of this model and normalized them individually:

Then I selected all those parts and applied another unwrap modifier to make the atlas for all the model. Now I wanna normalize all the piles so every part of the model has the same proportions and then scale down or up all the UVs to fit them into two tiles of 4k.
The problem is that when I select all the UVs and click "Rescale Clusters" they remain the same (they are only normalized individually, for each object, not for the whole model).

How could I normalize the whole model so, for example, the mouth of the minigun has the same proportions than the scope? Is this a good idea?

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Are all your transforms frozen? Make sure that all your objects have a scaling factor of 1 on all axis.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In 3dsmax which it looks like you're using, you reset transform and scale in the hierarchy tab of the command panel.
  • Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    .Wiki said:
    Are all your transforms frozen? Make sure that all your objects have a scaling factor of 1 on all axis.
    I don't have any transforms frozen, but I'm not sure what do you mean by scaling factor. I did reset Xform for every object without results, dunno if that's what you mean.

In 3dsmax which it looks like you're using, you reset transform and scale in the hierarchy tab of the command panel.
    Yup, it's 3ds Max. I did that with all the objects selected but it didn't work.

• Ruflse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruflse polycounter lvl 6
    After trying with the normalize script inside of textools (which doesn't work with multiple objects) and relaxing all the UVs, I used the normalize tool of the Polyunwrapper demo after reseting Xform for all the objects (http://www.polytools3d.com/polyunwrapper/). I would have prefered something within 3ds Max, but that did the trick without having to attach any objects. Packing and relaxing also works, but for someone who doesn't want his UVs packed or distorted maybe that's not an option.

Edit: Nevermind, you can make a group for the UVs of each object and then use custom pack; that way 3ds Max normalizes and packs your UVs without disordering the groups, so you can arrange them if you want and move them at your will.