Home Technical Talk

Creature pose question

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Apheleion vertex
Hello all, I have a question on the work flow of actually posing my creature, i have already modeled it, did the retopology, unwrap, and textured the creature now i want to know how to pose it. He was modeled and retopoed in Zbrush, unwraped in 3DS Max, and textured in Substance Painter 2, now i am kind of lost on how to actually pose him, any and all help is greatly appreciated and happy holidays ladies and gents.

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Create a rig and skin the mesh to the rig
  • Apheleion
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    so create a bone rig in 3ds max and i should be able to pose it? would it mess up m texture maps at all? and thanks so much for the speedy reply to my thread
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    You have to skin (weight) the mesh to the bones, rigging is a pretty lengthy topic in itself but there are videos of it on youtube. Here's one I used a long ass time ago when I was using Max, not sure how much has changed since then.

It shouldn't mess up your textures no.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    You can also use zbrush i skip T pose master had issues with it in the past and just take to using masks with rotations at (would be) bone placements and sort out any oddness that may occur with a very low brush and soften (shift).

For me way quicker but going the bones and skin route would be best for multiple posing angles and expressions. As well as learning new things that you might need or enjoy which might change your artistic direction from modeler to Animator.

To answer your questions:
    Stretching is a normal occurrence with posing any models, otherwise there will be no real issues to your maps.
  • Apheleion
    Offline / Send Message
    Apheleion vertex
    thank you very much for the help ill get right to it. Have a happy holiday as well