Home Unreal Engine

quixel vs substance

alexworx
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
alexworx polycounter lvl 5
Hi all,
I am new to UE4 and looking into adding either quixel or substance into my work flow. Right now I a use 3ds max /vray. I am slowly making the move over to UE4.

What are people using more of Quixel or substance, what are each of there strength and weaknesses?

Thanks
Alex 

Replies

• myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    there are trials for them out there, try them out and see if they suit your personal workflow. :)
    Both could be useful and it depends on what you need it for.

Just keep in mind Quixel has slow calculations due to bending Photoshop to the needs of 3D Artists
    and Photoshop is rental only...  In uncertain times with sporadically income which seems nowadays
    a thing in renowned and big VFX- and Games-Studios,  its a risky move to rely on those renting/subscription only programs.

Substance Designer/Painter is in my own opinion amazing and specifically build for the needs of 3D Artists.
    there are rent to own and perpetual licences available.

I am currently using Affinity Photo, where I am trying to build a working normalmap/heightmap solution
    to fill the in my view missing gaps for Substance Designer/Painter.

Shapes, Texts and Brush input are currently supported.

for a bit more information about this somewhat unrefined wip solution click on this Affinity-forum link;
    https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31960-affintiy-photo-for-3d-aritsts-normalmapheightmap-creation-wip/

• alexworx
    Offline / Send Message
    alexworx polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks. Yes I am looking into that now but the more research I do the more I am leaning towards substance. I dont like being tied to photoshop to be honest thats a big negative. 

• Kyetja
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyetja polycounter lvl 7
    Both definitely have their ups and downs, Quixel's Photoshop integration is a blessing for a lot of artists, and a lot of the materials it comes with are absolutely stunning. 
    The main reasons that I prefer Substance over Quixel however is that Substance feels more "direct", as in in rarely crashes, loading times are minimal and it performs quite well. Having the option to create, use and share materials made in Substance Designer is also a huge plus, for my last university project I spend a lot of time making materials that suit the needs of artists rather then a standard library.

The integration into UE4 is fairly strong with both softwares, I'd recommend you check out some of the tutorials on how they integrate and just what you prefer, unless that's a feature you are not concerned with.