Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beretta Project

Devon M
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Devon M polycounter lvl 4
Hello all. I'm working on a small asset piece over the next few weeks (senior university student on winter break) in order to learn better/new techniques in zBrush and to jump head first into Substance Painter. I have experience in 3D-Coat so I can't imagine the leap to Substance Painter is too far. I'll be documenting my progress along the way and hope to finish it out in a few weeks. I intend for this piece to be game ready and realistic to the reference images. The workflow I intend to use is to start straight in zBrush with the high poly, create the low poly, and do everything else in Substance Painter (bakes/textures).

I'm working on a Beretta Centennial pistol. I chose this because of its body shape and the different materials that make up the weapon. I've never made a gun before, so let's see how this goes :).

I did a breakdown of what will be separate, unique mesh pieces. The parts/pieces I didn't highlight are areas in which I think a normal map can do the work for me.

So this is the beginning! If anyone has any critiques/comments please feel free to drop them. I'm doing this mostly as a learning process for better/new modeling techniques and learning Substance Painter for the first time, so I eagerly welcome any help and wisdom you all have to offer throughout the process.

Replies

• Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to get some progress on the sidearm tonight. Starting out by doing major block-outs of the large forms. I've got to do a few more pieces that are attached to the side of the weapon, but still just worried about getting the major shapes right.

It's coming along :D 

Sort of worried about the shape of the trigger guard, it feels wide, but the reference image shows it being almost as wide as the piece it attaches to on top. Thoughts? Suggestions? The reference image that shows the gun from the bottom makes the trigger guard look wider than other sidearms...

• Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting the last of the largest shapes blocked in. I'll be starting on the medium sized details in the coming week: metal cuts, shaping, etc. 

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I think you would be better off modeling it using traditional sub-d modeling techniques in a 3D modeling package such as 3ds Max, Maya, Modo or Blender, to get clean shapes non-destructively. Or you could actually use ZBrush 4r7's Zmodeler tools instead of dynamesh which gives you these uneven and wobbly surfaces and edges now.
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @FourtyNights I think I could absolutely do that, but it's just part of this particular learning experience :) I'm not so worried about these weird looking edges because I'm about to start shaving and cutting things. We'll see where things go, thanks man :)
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the Beretta some more today. I worked on the right side of the model mostly. Still trying to get in those medium details. Gotta make sure I keep the form and silhouette rock solid. Learning so much along the way and loving how it's turning out so far. Still working on the grip where the handle is. Need to polish out it's edges and get it more defined as it looks sort of blobby at the moment. I figure once I finish this grip I can just mirror it to the other side. 

Cheers :)

• Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mattvaughn12 polycounter lvl 9
    It is very difficult to gauge where you are with the project with the workflow you are using. How far are you looking to take this in Zbrush?
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mattvaughn12

I'm doing high --> low poly modeling instead of low --> high poly modeling. After I finish the high poly in zBrush, I'm gonna throw it in Maya (decimated version so Maya can handle) to retopologize it. Going to UV, harden/soften correct edges in Maya as well. Afterwards I'm throwing it in Substance Painter to do the rest. :)

So far on this model I've been working on the right side and using symmetry when possible. The gun isn't the exact same on both sides. For example, some of the buttons and safety switch is different on both sides. However, the larger pieces of the model are symmetrical. 

I've always done a workflow of low --> high, so I wanted to try another workflow and learn new techniques. :)
  • Mattvaughn12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mattvaughn12 polycounter lvl 9
    Devon M said:
    @Mattvaughn12

I'm doing high --> low poly modeling instead of low --> high poly modeling. After I finish the high poly in zBrush, I'm gonna throw it in Maya (decimated version so Maya can handle) to retopologize it. Going to UV, harden/soften correct edges in Maya as well. Afterwards I'm throwing it in Substance Painter to do the rest. :)

So far on this model I've been working on the right side and using symmetry when possible. The gun isn't the exact same on both sides. For example, some of the buttons and safety switch is different on both sides. However, the larger pieces of the model are symmetrical. 

I've always done a workflow of low --> high, so I wanted to try another workflow and learn new techniques. :)
    For sure! I've sen some great hard surface sculpting come out of Zbrush. Should check out Red Storm Entertainment's Zbrush Summit speech and Amsterdam Hilton Hotel's ProBoolean HP approach. Might make things easier if you wanted to start with the HP approach.

Im doing the same with my current project. Converted CAD data to the HP, now I'm working on retopoing within Max.

• Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mattvaughn12

Thanks! I'll definitely take a look at that.
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The holiday season has been keeping me busy. Here's an update on the right side of the Beretta. It's mostly done. I've done some small work to the top, but it still needs work getting its medium level details. I'll spare the screenshots of the sides that haven't been updated.

So I'm still currently focused on medium level detailing. I know there are some edges that need some love and care, but I plan on taking care of them when I move on to small level detailing. Sometimes I still need to move things around and cut here or there, so making the edges perfect right now would be a waste of time I think. This side of the Beretta is mostly complete for its medium detailing. 

I've learned so much so far: my first time doing a weapon and hard surface modeling in zBrush. Tons of clipping and masks. I think next time I'll try to do another weapon starting with zModeler and work from there, just to see what that workflow is like. I'm also preparing and planning what I'll need for the small level detailing in the back of my mind. I've never done it before, but I know I'll need to make alpha masks in Photoshop to get a nice pattern for the grip and stamp it on inside zBrush. But that's a worry for another day =P

Cheers everyone. Hope all of you are having a great holiday season. :)
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope everybody had a great time over the holidays. Now that the festivities have slowed down, I've gotten back to work on the sidearm. I managed to finish all of the medium level detailing on the gun. Now I'm working on the fine detailing: Making sure the edges are polished, putting in the smaller details into the metal, etc. Afterwards I'll be creating a low poly to apply all of my baked maps to. 

Currently I'm working on polishing the edges and faces and after that I'll be applying the smaller details to the gun: The metal letters and decals, nuts, cuts, etc.

This project has been a blast so far! Should be completely finished within the next few weeks. Cheers. :)
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working out the low poly version of the Beretta. It's looking to be around 15k polys. I've been baking out a normal map for each piece I've worked on and they're all looking good so far. :) I'll compile the UVs together after I'm done making the low poly version and will begin the texturing process soon after.

• Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I finished just in time. Here are some of the final renders of the Beretta. 

I accomplished everything I set out for and I'm really proud of the final result. Cheers everyone!

Check out my art station for more renders. :)
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/PJmA3