Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Making textures with Zbrush

elitrope
vertex
Offline / Send Message
elitrope vertex
Hey guys, I'm trying to learn how to use Zbrush and I want to start with something I think simple: Doing a tiled texture with bricks

I reckon I still have ways to go, but I'll leave you the results I have so far right now, please give me any advise, tips or critiques you want! :smile:

The first one is the basic tile, and the second one is a 2x2 grid using the same texture.

Again, any feedback is very much welcome! :D

Replies

• VeryCrunchyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VeryCrunchyTaco polycounter lvl 7
    I like this!  The only parts that pop out immediately to me are the one block with the slash from the top right to the bottom left, the really dark block, and that dark shadow on the bottom left of the one rock.  (I hope that made sense, haha.)  
    You could potentially throw some color variation in there to liven it up a bit, unless you were going for a monochromatic look.
    It looks pretty solid though, good work!  :D 
  • Enhirement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enhirement polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great so far. Only thing I would say is don't be too afraid to give some of the areas a little more damage. Maybe some smaller cracks or give a few the trim dynamic style detail here. Otherwise, great work!

• elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    Thanks for your feedback everyone!

I like this!  The only parts that pop out immediately to me are the one block with the slash from the top right to the bottom left, the really dark block, and that dark shadow on the bottom left of the one rock.  (I hope that made sense, haha.)  
    You could potentially throw some color variation in there to liven it up a bit, unless you were going for a monochromatic look.
    It looks pretty solid though, good work!  :D 
    I agree with the really dark block, I'll be fixing that soon. Also, on the color variation topic... I'm trying to do something like that but I find that it looks very...plain and I like the monochrome version better. I'll post that one too.

Looks great so far. Only thing I would say is don't be too afraid to give some of the areas a little more damage. Maybe some smaller cracks or give a few the trim dynamic style detail here. Otherwise, great work!

I cannot unsee it now, you're totally right, that part is very plain and will be updated soon.

Again, thanks guys, you're awesome!

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    If you want your texture to tile better try and avoid tiles/bricks that line up perfectly like the vertical bars next to the 2 small squares. You will always be able to see stuff like that. I usually try to avoid having more than 2 elements with matching grout lines, add a break. Don't get attached to any patterns because it will be hard to use this way.
  • elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    Cay said:
    If you want your texture to tile better try and avoid tiles/bricks that line up perfectly like the vertical bars next to the 2 small squares. You will always be able to see stuff like that. I usually try to avoid having more than 2 elements with matching grout lines, add a break. Don't get attached to any patterns because it will be hard to use this way.
    Yeah, I did notice that but AFTER I rendered the bricks and started messing with them on photoshop, now I know what I need to have in mind when creating tiles for the next time. I'll finish this bad boy and then I'll make a second one to apply everything you've told me so far.

• elitrope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elitrope vertex
    First, thanks everyone for your critiques, tips and advise. Here's how it's going so far:

I added some color variation, as sugested by VeryCrunchyTaco ( I added a layer and used some blue and red hues, then used setted the layer type to color and lower it's opacity). I repainted some cracks directly on photoshoo so they could be more visible and also redid most of the crack on the down left brick that seemed off. Added a crack on the square brick in the very middle, I think it turned out pretty good for being my first time.

Lastly, I added some highlights by hand, which are very visible on the single tile but on the tiled image it's no so notorious, which I like.

Any type of feedback is welcome! I don't know where to take it from now, so maybe I'll try to do a new brick texture to use all the knowledge I've gained.